Amanda's Wedding
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 November 2014
I am normally a big fan of Jenny Colgan and always pounce on any new books of hers that I see on the shelf/online. However, this turned out to be an old book with a new cover, but I hadn't read it before so was ok. I don't feel that this book was what I would have expected from Jenny's normal style of writing and found my enjoyment of the book was marred by the constant use of bad language by the main characters. I am aware that some people do litter their speech with expletives but have not found such frequent use in Jenny Colgan's other books and I didn't appreciate that at all. A bit disappointed with this.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2015
Having read all of the lovely Jenny Colgan books about bakeries and chocolate I was so disappointed to find myself immersed in a book of, what I feel is, unnecessarily foul language. I was looking for an easy read and this is far from that. The characters are certainly not lovable and the storyline is tired. I struggled to read 25% then had to give up. I'll probably never read another Jenny Colgan book again. I'm sad about that. Sorry. I'm sure lots if people love it but it's not for me.
3 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 23 March 2009
I have read several other books by Jenny Colgan before, and when I looked at reviews, there was always at least a few that seemed disappointed because the book "wasn't as good as Amanda's Wedding". Well, I had to read Amanda's Wedding, then! And I wasn't disappointed - this is, indeed, so far the best Jenny Colgan I read (though Working Wonders comes close (to me, anyway).

It's laugh-out loud funny, it has rather biting social satire, it has a wonderfully self-depreciating heroine, it has plot, dynamic, suspense, and you don't even know for sure what's going to happen at the end (and that IS a a major achievement in chick-lit).

The main character shares the low-esteem and seeming underachievement quirks of the typical chick-lit heroines, she is intelligent and not altogether pitiful. In fact, gutsy enough to be likeable to me, and that's an achievement as I usually read chick-lit waiting for the moaning, men-obsessed, shoe-loving bimbo of the heroine to suffer miserably.

Jenny Colgan is, indeed, one of the best chick-lit writers around and although she can be uneven (e.g. Operation Sunshine wasn't very good); Amanda's Wedding is one of the best.
on 19 July 2016
Am half way through and not sure I'll finish it. It's not a book I would have thought this author had written due to the lack of substance in the main characters. It's pretty childish actually. Am disappointed and will probably bin it.
on 16 May 2015
I have read other Jenny Colgan books which have been witty and entertaining. This one was neither. Lots of booze, hangovers and a rambling story. I can only guess it was written early in the author's career. Not for me....
2 people found this helpful
on 5 May 2018
Took a bit of getting into but loved it once I did
on 28 May 2015
JENNY'S LATER BOOKS ARE JUST GREAT - BUT THIS IS QUITE A GOOD READ WITH INTERESTING CHARACTERS, AND A STORYLINE WHICH HAS YOU GUESSING WHO IS GOING TO END UP WITH WHOM, AND THE OUTCOME OF VARIOUS OTHER SITUATIONS.
on 29 January 2016
I've loved all of Jenny's books but not this one. I read about a quarter of the book hoping it would get better but in the end I gave up. I thought the characters were shallow, the story line silly and the language unnecessary. If this had been the first book I had read of Jenny's then I probably wouldn't have read anymore of hers.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 July 2015
Didn't warm to the characters at all, and so didn't complete the book; which is very rare for me, because I adore all of Jenny's other works.
on 8 May 2015
I am a fan of Jenny Colgan and usually enjoy her books. Perhaps it was an early book and if written now would be better. The story was good, the characters had potential but I found the language annoying.