on 2 June 2009
I'm another avid reader of Tom's blog and devoured his first book, so I was very happy when my pre-ordered copy of his second came through my letter box on Saturday. I started reading, almost forgot to go to the gym and finished it within the day, it's also inspired me to re-read his first book.

Tom's writing is witty and intelligent, and you can see this is a man who really loves his job but is also incredibly frustrated by it, you will spend most of the book giggling, some sighing and shaking your head, and a little part sad. Despite being an avid reader of his blog I only recognised a few things, but I still wanted to read them again, there was no stale repetition here, but a refreshing read
on 17 January 2011
Enjoyed this - easy to read and pick and put down. Interesting too, in an eye opening way, as was the first one.
on 24 May 2012
As per the title of my review.....I myself did download this book hoping/expecting exciting, over the top, jaw dropping tales. But instead was confronted with something real and personable, which was unexpectantly refreshing and better then i hoped for.

It's a true look at the life of an ambulance driver, real emotions, real events. I have always respected this profession very much as they are who we turn to at our most vunerable and needy. But it renewed that respect, for what they endure every day and how they conduct themselves when most of us would of said/done differently in a similar situation. I now smile my most sincerest 'thankyou/gratitude' smile as i pass a paramedic - they probably are thinking that i might be a 'call-out' in the near future as i smile like a demented monkey, but i only do so more intently as the result of reading this book.
on 14 January 2012
I enjoyed this book, it's an easy read, but it isn't going to set the world on fire. I wanted to know more about paramedics after reading "Call the Ambulance", which is a better read. The main failing for me is that this book is a compilation of blog entries, rather than a novel with themed chapters. Each entry in turn is interesting, sometimes humorous, other times tragic, but they work better as a blog, which by its very nature is a forum for various observations and musings. As a book I expected more. That said it's well written and I did enjoy the variety of different entries. I was shocked by the number of people who use ambulances for everyday things like a cough or cold and the number of calls for regulars be they drunks or timewasters. Ambulance staff do an amazing job and the fact next to no-one says thank you to them astounds me.
on 12 October 2010
After reading the first book, i just had to get the second one, and wasn't disappointed. I love Brian Kellett's (aka Tom Reynolds) dry sense of humour, but with the type of clientel the the London ambulance service have to spend most of their time in the company of, if you didn't laugh, you would cry! In my opinion, the man and all of his colleagues deserve a medal, both for the flack they have to take from the violent, to the timewasters they frequently have to bite their lip in the presence of. Such a shame he has now left the L.A.S, men and women like him are worth their weight in gold, and his leaving is a great loss to the people of London.
This book continues on from the book Blood, Sweat and Tea and if you were a fan of that, then you will certainly enjoy this book. It is a collection of tales from a crew member of the London Ambulance service.

It reads like a blog with short chapters that will have you laughing, crying or tutting in anger at the way in which Ambulance services are abused by the unworthy and at the expense of other legitimate patients.

Easy to read and in nice bite size chunks. The text formatting is good, with no mid sentences turned into paragraphs or merged chapters. In terms of VFM, when I first got this it was being given away free of charge on the Kindle, but there is now a charge, but it is a small price to pay for a little humour and a glimpse into the goings on in the Ambulance Service.
on 4 January 2013
Having originally followed the authors, now defunct, blog for some years I was aware of his other literary endeavours but had long forgotten to pick up a copy until a recent recommendation.

The book, a follow up to Blood, Sweat and Tea, is a collection of blog entries by Tom Reynolds charting his time as an EMT with London Ambulance Service.

The former nurse holds no punches as he details the highs and lows of his time on the ambulance, in a job that can see him bringing a new life into the world at the start of a shift and seeing another leave this world at the end.

Tom's stories are often humorous, in a clear simple style you would expect of someone who works in the East End of London. However, you also experience a whole kaleidoscope emotions as the author shares details of his exposure to physical and verbal abuse, the critically ill, drug users and alcoholics who have become regular users of the service.

If gore isn't your thing don't be put off, the book is far from graphic yet clearly describes each situation in layman's terms whilst allowing the medical professional to share the experience in equal measure.

As some of the stories are about those who are often deep within their darkest moments, perhaps to say it was an enjoyable read isn't appropriate but that said it is a thoroughly good book and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different to read, has an interest in medical matters, fly on the wall documentaries or sociology students as on a subconscious level I'm sure More Blood, More Sweat and Another cup of Tea charts the beginnings of societies downward spiral.

Alas Tom's blog, that this book is based, is no longer active and he no longer works for the Ambulance Service having returned to nursing.
on 25 November 2010
Sadly an accurate account of todays ambulance service.Dedicated but overlooked people doing a demanding,often heartbreaking job for far less than they deserve.True Heroes!Having formerly worked in another region of the ambulance service as i have(This book is centred on the L.A.S)'Tom Reynolds'(aka Brian Kellett)captures with sensitive and sometimes cynical humour the everyday life of a London E.M.T,Which i'm sure is not far removed from the experiences of others in the service and similar to accounts from my friends still in the service.
If you really want an insight into this job,you can't go far wrong with this excellent book,which is every bit as captivating as the first.If the last couple of pages don't bring a lump to your throat,go to the Dr and get checked out for 'lack of feelings'but DON'T Call an ambulance!
on 1 June 2009
I'd simply say that this isn't Proust or the Bard, it is, however, a funny, sad and shocking commentary on London's high and low life through the eyes of a hard pressed man in green overalls from the London Ambulance Service. Buy it, read it and then recommend it...
on 12 July 2009
This sequel offers more direct insight into the highs and lows of working for the London Ambulance Service. As in the first book, all human life is here, and is faithfully reported by the author.

The writing is clear and straightforward, taking us through the comedies and tragedies of daily life in a matter-of-fact style. The author's voice can be delightfully wry and sardonic, yet we can see he is an incredibly tolerant and patient man (most of the time!).

Each blog entry is a worthy read in its own right, great for dipping in and out of, but like most readers, I finished it in one sitting. As well as being thoroughly entertaining, it is thought-provoking, providing a commentary on modern society and the "I know my rights" brigade. A great voice for some of our unsung heroes.