Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 March 2017
Good read. My daughter LOVED this book. Well written and great story. Highly recommended to KS2, tween age and even the grown ups love it too
on 9 May 2017
My 10 year old daughter loves this and has already bought the second book. She would recommend this to anyone!
on 6 May 2017
This book is amazing! I loved the tension near the end and the build up which really got my mind whirring. It is also very funny and full of five star humour I would recommend it to anyone over 9 years old
Loved it!!!!
on 21 May 2017
This book was very good, if a little too American. However, it was enjoyed my 9 year old daughter enjoyed it a lot.
on 29 July 2014
I loved the book but I found it really hard to get into as I did not understand it but as I got further I could not put the book down. I liked it mostly when Ruby and Clancy sneaked into the lady's hotel room because I found it really interesting and I couldn't stop reading. I would recommend this book to people who are very strong readers and like a bit of a challenge as it got a bit complicated at times.
on 3 October 2014
I bought this for my granddaughter and thought I'd better try it out for suitability first. I couldn't put it down! First class - my granddaughter, aged 8, has yet to read it so cannot answer from a child's perspective. I will be reading it to her in the first instance and my hope is that it will be something she will go back to as she gets older. I'm really looking forward to reading it with her and watching her reactions to the fun, but never frightening, suspense
on 28 September 2013
I bought this book for my 14 year old granddaughter and read it myself to check it out. I found it a riveting read and totally absorbing. Great fun and an interesting. I will read other books in this series as they are a light-hearted approach to literature and hope they will motivate my teenage granddaughter to enjoy settling into a good book. I recommend it to anyone who wants to put aside their anxieties and immerse themselves in this adventure with Ruby.
First off, this book seems to be for an older crowd than the Clarice Bean readers. Younger kids might read this and enjoy it, but a lot of the humor and style seems to be aimed a little higher.

Ruby is a remarkably strong and well-developed character. There is a certain amount of that 13 year old snark that is more or less required in this type of book, but Ruby's 13-ness has some personality and originality, and is not at all just standard issue teen kvetching. It's hard to have a teen heroine who is a wiseacre and yet still is engaging, but Child pulls off this balancing act. Right there the book won me over. Even when there is the occasional false note, (sometimes Ruby can sound too adult or a little too smart mouth), the book immediately breezes on to a more appealing scene.

Parents are standard issue lame, but Lauren Child makes them so hilariously and disastrously clueless that they actually become engaging characters in their own right, instead of just annoying afterthoughts. (Think of Bertie Wooster types as parents.)

Ruby's sidekick, Clancy Crew, (Nancy Drew?), is funny and sharp and loyal, and so works as an interesting second banana, not just a dopey foil.

The whole framing story - that Ruby is a super observant, super dedicated detective/code breaker - sets up nicely and works just fine. There's espionage and cryptograms and close calls and escapes and villains, but it's not the plot, it's the personable and engaging Ruby, that keeps the book going.

So, here's my bottom line. Everything in this book is just a bit, (or a lot), better than the usual. There are sarcastic observations about school, but more perceptive and funnier than usual. There are amusing thoughts about friends, and clothes, and parents, but more acute and engaging. It's all just sharper, hipper, more distinctive, more creative, and more original than other similarly targeted books. Seems to me that's about the best you could ask for.
on 11 April 2017
i love the taste of cheese it is so cheesey and it is yellow blue and white but i like black it represents the way i look at the world
on 28 April 2013
I chose five stars because I personally thought that the mystery in this book is sheer brilliance and unbelievably clever, as it takes you though the book , step by step. Also funny and quirky, it is a fab combination.