Customer reviews

Hexwood
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2013
Hexwood was one of the most confusing Diana Wynne Jones books I've read, and it is difficult to comment on the plot without giving away the central idea. Suffice it to say that Jones's trademark wit and cleverness has created a compelling, unpredictable, often rather strange tale which involves the typical Diana Wynne Jones features of a love story, a rather frightening atmosphere of mystery and complication, moments of humour, and some excellent descriptions. The plot is complex to the point of confusion but it does eventually come together and its well worth sticking with it for the final unveil, as the various plot strands come together. After reading it, I understood what Jones was trying to do and how skillfully she'd managed it, though if it had been my first venture into Jones territory I might not have stuck with it for long enough to appreciate its skill. Atmospheric, gripping, peculiar and imaginative, I would recommend this novel to fans of Diana Wynne Jones.
on 22 July 2009
One of my favourite of Diana Wynne Jones books and since I love all of them this is real praise. A complex mystery plot that draws you in. Just when you think you see where the plot is going, the magic of the Hexwood shifts something and you see events from a new perspective. By the end of the story you think 'Oh yes I see now' and have to read it all over again to spot the clues that you missed first time around. It is so well constructed that each time I read it I see something new. I can't describe the plot without giving away some of the secrets it is such fun to uncover for yourself. It is definitely suitable for bright teenagers and adults but some scenes can be horrifying; others move you to tears. Go and read it - at least 3 times - you won't be bored even after the 10th time.
on 10 September 2014
This is one of my favourite books by Diana Wynne Jones. For most of the time you have no idea what's going on but it's compelling anyway. It's suitable for people from age about 12 if they are good readers, up to - let's say - 100? She's such a clever author. Don't stop with just this one - every book is different, and mind-expanding.
on 16 September 2012
This book is brilliant. It's very complex, so you'll need more than one read through to fully understand and appreciate everything, and it's very different (though no less excellent) than Diana Wynne Jones' other books. This is mostly due to the book being sci-fi as opposed to fantasy. Most characters are referred to by several different names and it's only at the very end of the book that everything makes sense. So all in all, my kind of novel!

The only bad point is that this edition misses about six pages near the end of the book- it's still readable and understandable, but it really ought to be fixed.
on 13 January 2015
My favourite Diana Wynne Jones books. Have read it at least 4 times already! So many concepts going on, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed fantasy/magic books as a child and wishes there was something similar for an adult. This is it!
on 22 August 2014
Yet again a marvellously intricate tale of time and metamorphosised adolescence from the Merlina of story tellers. Brain helpful but not required for the sheer enjoyment of this jaunt through heraldic Dragon fighting and candles so not in distress. O thank you Diana for your gift of resourceful intelligent heroines. Rest well goddess of story.
on 30 September 2013
A beautifully written book with a dizzying number of twists and turns, doubling back in time and projecting forward. Myth, sci-fi and political thriller in turn. It is imaginative, unexpected, delightful and absorbing. Suitable for teens and adults.
on 12 June 2014
I read and reread this book as a child and loved it. I absolutely recommend it, although I will say it's a bit hard to follow the first time you read it but it's worth pushing through the confusion!
on 11 January 2001
I bought this book today, and have just read it straight through without stopping. It's absolutely wonderful. And it's a crime that it's only in the children's section of my local book shop, because it fits quite well up alongside many of the science fiction and fantasy classics which I have read. READ THIS BOOK!
on 26 March 2013
I read this again as I had good memories of it from childhood. Second time around I found the plot confusing, but obviously
the atmosphere had stuck with me all these years so the author must have done something right!