Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 2005
I don't understand how anyone can give this book a bad review. I read this book when I was very young - maybe 9 or 10, and will never forget it. It's a magical journey that is so well-written that you can just curl up in an armchair reading it and be transported to a completely different world.
Berlie Doherty is a brilliant children's author, and her talents definitely shine in this novel.
Please don't just read this web page - buy this novel! You won't regret it!
on 5 July 2000
Well I read this when I was 9 ... But I still remember everything that happened.After i had finished the book I couldn't remember if it watched it on t.v.Because I could picture everything in my mind.Just shows how good the book is!
on 10 August 2002
I love this book! I have to say, this is definitely one of my favorite books. It's so imaginative and well-written.
It's about a blind girl called Laura who gets carried away by a unicorn into a world of magic where she can see, where old women ride unicorns and where Laura is needed to get the Wild Ones home to the Wilderness. Here, in this world of enchantment and colour Laura finds happiness. Here she is loved and respected, yet Spellhorn (The unicorn) knows that she must return home...
This is an enchanting tale of magic, bravery and mystery. It truly is a wonderful book.
on 16 April 2012
This is the first book I read till the end, and now you'll always find me reading books.
I was 7-8 when I first read it and love it so much that I must have read it 20 times. The way the author has written it has given children so much imagery, I just bought it so that I can read it to my younger siblings.... You really need to buy the book to understand where everyone is coming from... Best book I ever read
on 11 September 2014
This is the first book I have ever reviewed and I read several books a week. My daughter brought this home as school reading and I was hooked from the begining. I finished reading it the next night. The tale is wonderful; taking you away to another place as any good story should. It was bitter sweet and after I'd finished I didn't know wether to be sad or happy. The made up language for the wild ones is a delight getting across the meaning to young readers without then having to try to hard to work out what is going on. We have now decided to call our meals bellyfull.
on 25 November 1999
I love the way the characters develop . It is so real in a non realistic way.Couldn't get better.
on 6 June 2012
Purchased for use at primary school. Recommended reading to encourage deeper understanding of themes and implications. A challenging book for ages 7-10.
on 24 January 2015
My 10 year old found the language a bit difficult to grasp at first but with perseverance thoroughly enjoyed this book. A lovely story.
on 15 October 2015
Loved this book as a child! Amazing.
on 5 July 2014