on 17 April 2017
More visceral shield-wall mutilating from Uhtred. As usual, the Danes are planning a dastardly attack on the Saxons, only Uhtred manages to see through their schemes in time to save the day. There is a bit more a of a storyline this time though, and some sort of focus, which makes this installment more enjoyable than previous ones. We only needed to be told once, perhaps though, that Finan has good eyesight. If you like the Cornwell formula of an outcast hero who succeeds against the odds and has as many enemies among his friends, then you'll like this.

Other books you might like

An Angel's Alternative
Cold Steel on the Rocks
We Are Cold Steel
on 28 September 2017
I am a great fan of Bernard Cornwell's novels, he manages to get a balance between spinning a great story whilst embedding it in a sound, tangible historical context. Some writers throw all the facts they have researched at their readers which slows down the narrative. Cornwell uses his research of history to give his plots and descriptions an historical verisimilitude. I love Uhtred, just as I loved Sharpe. I found this story particularly poignant and well written, the descriptions in the narrative were quite moving. I generally pace myself with these books as I don't want to gobble them all up but I couldn't help myself I've already moved on to the next book.
on 27 April 2017
Just loving this set of stories from Bernard Cornwell. The book came speedily and in a good condition. Storyline excellent!
on 15 April 2017
The saga continues and is as equally enthralling. Great descriptions and very easy to follow Uhtred and his band of warriors as they continue their journeys.
on 17 January 2018
The best of the series so far and I can't wait to start the next installment of Lord Uhtred's struggle on behalf of embryonic Engerlaland and his quest to regain his birthright, Babanberg.
on 8 September 2017
I read this in a day and have been maki ng scrap quilts since! She describes the methods clearly, doesn't preach and it works! If you don't like random scraps look away!!
on 10 January 2018
As a fan of this book series, I enjoyed in yet another of Uthred adventure
the stile of writing is the same, I you like Uthred's comments about religion and reaction of God fearing people to him :)

some shocking moment in this book, and some that will influence next books in great deal

recommended
on 4 March 2017
Yet again a great read if you like this historical period from a master of historical story telling
on 24 April 2016
Bernard Cornwell is very good at maintaining the tension and there is enough historical fact to make it an interesting read but it will always lack real suspense as we know that Uhtred appears in many sequels.
VINE VOICEon 3 October 2013
I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series (and his "Warlord Chronicles" series) and this latest instalment is possibly the best of the lot. Cornwell is a master of both plot and pace and, once you get past the middle of the book, it's impossible to put down. There's a feeling of authenticity about it, even though the author admits there's nothing more than the sketchiest of historical evidence about the battle at the end.