on 26 October 2010
Despite its title, this is a two-way English-Portuguese and Portuguese-English dictionary. In both sections, entries are well selected and translation accurate. The extra notes on pronunciation and verbs are to the point and very clear. Spelling has been updated in the latest edition (2010) and the rationale of the spelling changes is explained. This is an excellent reference tool.
on 21 September 2011
my last copy took three years for the spine to break up and fall off after some pretty rough handling .....its well worth the cost of buying a new one!!! the size of the writing means I don't need to have reading glasses to see the writing and the information is clear and useful...a few blank pages inside the covers sufficient to write down those tricky irregular verbs....use it most days...

I also have the slightly smaller soft back version for travelling...but at home its the hardback that just meets all demands...
on 5 February 2011
I am learning Portuguese and am using this as my main dictionary. However, my partner is Brazilian and when we try and explain words to each other, we sometimes find that the definitions in this dictionary are inaccurate. There do not seem to be too many other dictionaries available, so although this is OK, it is by no means perfect and there is room for improvement. The actual layout is clear and it is easy to read.
on 18 May 2011
I wanted to get the Larousse one, but that is hard to find now, so I went for the Collins as they have a good reputation. This dictionary has pronunciation guides at the front - for English learning Portuguese and Portuguese learning English, that are simple to follow, although it leads with Brazillian Portuguese pronunciation which is a little frustrating for those concentrating on the European one.
An excellent dictionary for starting out. I will probably track down a bigger Larousse once I have learned the basics.
on 22 March 2013
Good little dictionary, but pronunciation is for Brazilian Portuguese (though there is a guide on Brazilian / European Portuguese pronunciation differences in the book). It gives Brazilian and European Portuguese words - e.g. train = trem (Br) /comboio (P). There's not a lot of choice of Portuguese dictionaries so I was happy with this one. It's unclear from the front cover but it is Portuguese/English and English/Portuguese.
on 12 August 2013
A very good and comprehensive dictionary. I use it in my dealings with Cape Verde and find it indispensible. Very easy to use
on 16 February 2016
Could not do without it living in Portugal. Phrase books ok for tourism but need this Dictionary to survive!
on 8 January 2015
useful for translation work
on 25 August 2012
Albeit a few years back I bought two copies of this in hardback from different bookshops, one to keep in the UK and one in Portugal.

Within days, and only a handful of uses, the binding fell apart on both. I now have two dictionaries which I can best describe as loose leaf!

Don't buy this rubbish.