Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 October 2010
There's a definite progression from BW1 to BW2 and Russ leaves it until the end to reassure his reader that he's ok. If you're a fan of the radio show then a lot of these stories will feel familiar but it's nice ground to cover again and get some of the inside track and maybe confirm a few suspicions you have.

I love the all too short section where he discusses his meeting Katy Perry at the 2009 VMAs.

He's a marmite character but if you're already charmed by the spindly Dickensian-style gent then you'll enjoy this. It's well written and would help those who aren't fans really see what's so appealing to his army of ardent fans.
on 3 November 2011
I am not a fan of Russell Brand so it was a surprise that I, firstly, read My Booky Wook and secondly, really enjoyed it. So I was looking forward to the next installment with My Booky Wook 2. But God it is awful. Long, overwritten sentences. While noted for his flights of the fanciful here they just drag on and on. His listing of his sexual exploits, while no doubt entertaining for him, are relentless and a bit dreary leaving a nasty taste in the mouth. The humour of the first book seems to be missing here. I found myself skipping chunks until I finally gave up altogether. It is a book for the diehard fan only.
on 19 July 2015
Yeah ok to start with then like anything to do with him it gets a bit hard to swallow .. He loves to talk ( of course ) and wants you to believe and like him as he pretends to be a poor hard working class lad as he types this manuscript from his 5.3 million pound house in Notting Hill and it starts to grind my gears personally .......
on 18 August 2011
I would have considered myself a "fan" (not in the fanatical sense, mind) of Russell Brand but was honestly disappointed by this sequel.

I liked his style of writing in the first book and felt it was very humble, honest and candid.

This book starts off with his dalliance with Kate Moss where he portrays her as a goddess.
I didn't really get it. (Possibly, because I never understood the fascination with her, so it tainted my view at the start)

He seems more self indulgent in this. I have been to most of his U.K shows, so already felt I lived the journey with him i.e all his media scandals of late - his sudden catapault to Hollywood fame etc. It is what he has lived through so what do I expect? This side of him is already mentioned in his shows etc so there wasn't much new or personal as the title suggested.

Or, maybe I just view him differently now and I am not so intrigued.

If you like and "get" Russell, then don't build your hopes up.
on 28 January 2011
A well written follow up to his first biography.
Very interesting to read his version of events re: sachsgate
I absolutly loved the book though I did feel that the last chapter was not as insightful or descriptive as the rest.
on 30 November 2010
I wanted to like this book. I really did. But it is simply awful. Boring, incoherent, and, quite frankly, a complete waste of time and money. Stay far away. I wish I had.
VINE VOICEon 13 April 2014
My Booky Wook was a masterpiece - hugely funny, shocking and bare-bones honest. I can't help but feel that Russell has really censored himself in this one. It's just not as interesting as before. We all know that he's slept with loads of women and that becomes a bit boring after a while - as boring as he comes to find it before he meets Katie Perry, which is mainly the subject of this book. I partly bought this book because I practice Transcendental Meditation and I was hoping that he'd go into that, but he only mentions it in one sentence so hopefully that will be mentioned later on in another book. I still love you Russell but it didn't thrill me like the first one did!
on 17 January 2011
Read BookyWook and loved it... full of mischief and daring do. So when I received part 2 for Christmas I couldn't wait to get rid of the in-laws and get down to business.

Much to my chagrin, Russell had become something of a careerist. He name drops without sharing the experience or interesting musings - fearful, I suspect of upending his career. But that sadly kills the book for me... after all it is pushing the limits that leads to excellence.

This is more a cuppa with a soggy biscuit.

Sorry Russell...
on 12 February 2013
Mostly amusing autobiography of Brand's rise to fame. Very quick and clever guy. Comes out fighting re: "Sachsgate", which I always wished he'd done from the very beginning. Of course, he sometimes comes across as an arrogant so-and-so, but then that's because he almost certainly is. Fortunately a very amusing one though. Only minus is for the rather soppy bits where he goes on about Katie Perry. Took it on holiday and it was perfect for reading while drinking on the beach as it can be picked up and put down very easily.
on 4 January 2011
The book came in good time for Christmas despite my ordering it quite late.
V good service. Good read.