Customer reviews

Friends and Rivals
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 August 2017
It's a book. What else can I say? One wife's meat is another wife's poison.
on 7 October 2017
loved it
on 1 May 2017
Its a cheesy chick-novel. Easy light-hearted read. A bit slow to start, slightly unrealistic at times, not always that well written but still enjoyable and with a happy ending.
on 8 October 2017
Good characters with an unexpected ending 😀 You can associate with them all and understand their feelings. Would highly recommend
on 20 July 2014
Gossipy book to read by the pool, in the style of Jilly Cooper.
on 4 March 2013
I'm currently not very well and this book is exactly what I needed. It's light and easy to read, a bit of escapism with bitchy, glamorous characters; fabulous locations from LA, to London to Oxford. If you like Jilly Cooper and want a frothy, jolly read then this is perfect!
on 12 July 2013
i used to love tilly bagshawe's books but i was very dissapointed with this one, it seemed like a very long read as it got very boring, could have made the book half the thickness & just got on with the plot instead of going all around the houses.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Honestly i wasn't expecting much based on some of the other reviews of it but i was pleasantly surprised.

I am not a huge fan of the chicklit but i picked this up and didn't put it down again until i had turned the final page.

I got completely caught up in it.

It was like watching the xfactor mingled with dallas mingled with the karashians on steroids, mingled with perez hilton mashed up with the voice, it was great.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 1 October 2012
"Kat fears she is past her prime. Her philandering husband, Ivan, who she still loves passionately after twenty years of marriage, leaves her for a younger woman. Devastated, there is only one person left who Kat trusts. Kendall is sure she has it all. But underneath her tough exterior she hides a vulnerability - she is helplessly struggling with an unrequited love. But when Kendall's need for success consumes her, she won't let anyone stand in her way. Ava is an innocent, plucked from obscurity and thrown into the deep-end of the glamorous world of fame. When she is pitted against Kendall, the world watches closely, wondering who will survive. As these three women try to navigate a backstabbing world of infamy, desire and fortune, will they be tempted to betray the people they hold dearest?"

I loved the characters in this book - they were all completely needed for the story, there were no surplus characters I didn't care about and the whole thing was just a brilliantly crafted read. I can't quite put my finger on who the main character was because I think it's an ensemble book, with the two female characters perhaps nudging out the males in terms of importance. Catriona, or Kat, thought she was happily married to Ivan, a music producer, and the pair have a gorgeous house, and 2 children too. She's learnt to ignore the whisperings about Ivan's lack of fidelity and buries her head in the sand, happy to look after their family home. So when Ivan leaves her, she's devastated and doesn't know which way to turn, letting her fly by on a downward spiral. I loved Kat, and I could sympathise with her so much, she's not at all naive and is devastated by her husband, and you cannot help but feel sorry for her.

Kendall on the other hand... I started out really disliking her but as the book progressed, I felt sorry for her and thought although that she did things for the wrong reasons, there was something very fragile about her and I really wanted her to be happy in the end. The way Bagshawe handles two very different female characters so easily says a lot, and I really liked reading about both as the book went on. The males in the book, well, Ivan was horrible, a man clearly only doing what was best for him and his career was destestable, exactly as he should have been, and there's his anthithesis, Jack, Ivan's business partner and best friend of many years, the perhaps anti-hero of the book, and the only male in the book I liked! However, the whole cast of characters, including Jack's photographer friend Lex, are fantastic and really make the book worth reading.

I really enjoyed that the book was set in the music business, and it's clear that Bagshawe has done her research about what goes on behind the scenes of the corporate music world. I also really enjoyed how it flitted between both America and the UK, and Bagshawe balanced both of these storylines equally well, and they really came alive in my mind, and made it all the more fun to read. There was nothing about this book I didn't like, the storyline was completely compulsive and each time I picked the book up, I was transported back into the music world of Kat, Kendall and co. and didn't want to leave them behind! Bagshawe has triumphed again with this book and I really loved every page - it's dramatic, it's fun, it's exciting and it's a fantastic read that you shouldn't miss. Things such as name-dropping throughout the book added a realistic edge to it, and I wish I could be a part of their world, even just for a day! A fab book you mustn't miss. Out now.
on 27 September 2012
Chicklit set in the music business world, this is a glitzy, glamorous and fast paced, sexy romp about betrayal and revenge. It is full of people you love to hate, most of whom are perfectly beautiful and successful! However, I could sympathise with a couple of the characters - Catriona Charles and Lex Abrahams - who seemed a lot nicer than the rest and their lives were a little rockier.

There is quite a lot of name dropping as there are several references to well known music organisations and products. The author seems to have done her research well. There is good inside information into the various places where the action takes place, some of which I know well. It was great to be able to picture it all in my mind!

Although, on the whole, I did find this book quite shallow and superficial, I also found it an entertaining and compelling read. I was certainly racing through the pages to see what happened. It's nicely written and keeps your attention. This is the first novel I have read by Tilly Bagshawe and in spite of the fact I am not a big chicklit fan, I did enjoy it. I think it would be a great book to relax on the beach with, whilst sipping a cocktail! Now that is something else I can definitely picture in my mind.