on 30 May 2017
This book is everything. I've read it twice and sobbed through it both times. Despite it being difficult to read, this is an extremely important book. It's capture of the sickening experience of abuse that children all over the world are experiencing right this minute is something that every person has a duty to know and familiarise themselves with.
on 24 January 2017
This book truly speaks from the heart, I was so enticed throughout the whole of it, would definitely recommend this book.
on 25 May 2017
Great book and great service
on 18 June 2017
Such a brilliant book even though that word doesn't sound the right thing to say considering what Lisa went through for so many years
on 21 April 2017
I have a morbid curiosity for misery lit and this book is great, although incredibly disturbing.
on 19 October 2009
Lisa James, I take my hat off to you!

You have written a remarkable book about the most vile abuses but somehow managed to do it with both dignity and great charm. Your writing hooked me from the first page with your amazing spirit shining through. You are so couragious and brave to have taken that brute to court without any support. You deserve every happiness you now have with your husband and wonderful children.

I highly recommend this book. It isn't your run-of-the-mill memoir. This is a blinding read that you'll think about for a long time after. It thoroughly deserved its spot as a Sunday Times no1 bestseller.

Well done Lisa. Thank you for telling us your story. You will help many people with this.

xox
on 29 September 2009
Lisa had the most degrading childhood, one of the very worst I have read. It's a miracle she managed to survive the daily violence that was doled out to her from her stepfather. The cruel coldness of her mother is equally as shocking. It disgusts me to think her mother is out there somewhere being 'doted on' by her other children who so easily turned their back on their sister when she really needed their support.
But instead of letting that beat her, Lisa went on to testify against her 'dad' Frank in court last year.
Without the family support she should have recieved, Lisa found the strength to send her stepfather to prison.

This book is brilliantly written (without a ghost-writer as many are these days). It's honest, graphic in places but not overly done. I totally agree with the other reviewers - You won't want to put this book down until you find out for sure that she did survive her horrors. It's so frightening to hear that people witnessed some of the attacks and did absolutely nothing to help. The most upsetting one for me was the trip back from the doctors. I hope society has changed since then. I know for sure I would step in if I saw something like that happening!!!

I wish you all the very best in the future Lisa. Despite your lonely start in life you are now surrounded by lots of people who care and love you very much. Thank you for sharing your story with us all. I hope the more people that come forward may help those in similar situations to find the courage to take control and report their abuser.

Take care xx
on 29 September 2015
One of the most horrific stories of child neglect and abuse I have ever encountered from reading this book. This lady deserves a medal for her bravery and inner strength for all that she had to endure. My heart went out to her many times as I got through the various chapters. What a read, I had to have a stiff drink after finishing this book, it was very thought provoking to say the least
on 7 January 2013
When I first started reading this book I wish I hadn't started because I just couldn't believe that a mother could let this happen to her child. I couldn't believe what Lisa was going through. I wanted to reach in and pull Lisa out to safety. I had to carry on reading as I needed to know that she came out the other end ok and in one piece. It was a desperate situation for a young girl, and without the support of her mum must have been unbearable. I look at my two children and I would kill or even die to ensure their safety and wellbeing. My heart truly goes out to Lisa and I'm so glad she got justice in the end. It's a shame her so-called mother didn't get to face up to her actions of neglect and unspeakable treatment of her daughter. This story reduced me to tears and broke my heart.
on 22 September 2010
I have just finished reading this book and was completely disgusted that a man (if you can call him that) was allowed to get off so lightly with the horrendous crime he had committed. I felt so sorry for Lisa who tried her very best to get away from her callous and vile abuser. What shocked me more was that her bitch of a mother just let it happen under her nose, repeatedly saying it was Lisa's fault. I have read many books like this, and this has to be one of the saddest, such a poor, tormented girl Lisa was. There are so many people around the world who cant have children, and then you read about these vile creatures who call themselves parents. This is a rivettting read and I finished it within two days, such a brave recollection of the horrific things Lisa had to put up with. My heart goes out to you Lisa, you're very brave and have grown into a proper mother, unlike your own mum. All the best for your future.