Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 February 2012
This was a book that I knew I would buy and had to read. Having been a fan of both Metallica and Megadeth since the 80s and having grown up with the feud and animosity between, not only the bands, but the fans of the bands, I was hooked as soon as I saw this.

The book itself is a good insight into Mustaine's life, from the early beginnings, to his version of the firing from Metallica, and onwards, and there are some nice back stories to song inspirations, lyrical inspiration and the behind the scenes look at the workings of the band. I did feel sorry for the guy at the way things were handled at various times, and it does give an interesting look at the 'do no wrong' image of Metallica, but I hoped for something a little more in depth from this - some of the time periods and subjects were glossed over - his repeated trips to rehab, the falling off the wagon time and time again, are dealt with in a couple of sentences. There must be more that drives someone to drugs and drink surely, other than a 'it was there and I was bored' mentality which he seems to profess.

Having said all of this, I finished the book in a weekend and found that it was addictive reading. At the end of the story, I felt a little more sympathy and understanding towards the man, (I always liked his music, I just wasn't sure about him) and it re-kindled my interest in the band enough to go get the new album!
on 25 May 2013
A good book and a better reading than many other music biographies you find around. Not a masterpiece but definetely a good book you will find hard to put down. I was personally surprised by the man himself, who emerges like a lot more an interesting character (and, why not, a better person) from the book than what could have been thought of from his public image.
I have loved reading about the metal/rock scene of the 80's and 90's from behind the scene in such genuine manner. It made me laugh a lot about my younger self and the sacred awe we were of these guys in back then.
So even if I was never a metal fan and had never heard more than three songs of Megadeth, I would definetely recommend this book to anyone with an interest in rock music or guitar.
on 5 October 2014
I've followed this guy since the early days of Metallica, he's not the the best singer in the world, but his music and lyrics are top notch, as for the book, it's the usual rock star I'm a drunk I'm a drug addict stuff, but it's still a good read.
As you might expect there is a lot to recommend Mustaine's biography and a lot to compel you to keep turning the pages. If you like metal and you are even vaguely aware of the man, you'll smash this in a couple of days.

It is genuinely entertaining to read about his transformation from angry, resentful, agnostic teenager to angry, resentful Christian multi-millionaire rock star; although not always for the reasons that he himself probably hoped.

There is no doubt, this book is a tool for self-vindication only. The kind of ego-soothing self medication that only someone as rich and blatantly frustrated as the author can administer. Behind the entertaining anecdotes of his brief interaction with Mssrs. Hetfield and Ulrich and chaotic early years of Megadeth through their bloated, meandering mid-phase and beyond the content seems desperate to serve only two purposes:

Firstly, it is repeatedly rammed down your throat how hard Mustaine is. It's almost as if the book itself is meant to serve as some kind of veiled threat to the reader as to what will happen if you mess with him. Whatever; methinks you protest to much Sir and behind all the little jabs about how a young Hetfield chickened out and left him to kick ass, Dave Ellefson needing him to step in on his behalf and on and on, the biggest picture that comes to mind is how sad, weak and deflated he seemed in his appearance in Some Kind of Monster.

On that very subject: purpose number two of this book is to finally set the record straight on how Mustaine had a role of seminal importance in the formation and early days of Metallica. Well, as a long term fan of both bands, by his own hand, he has finally dispelled this myth. His tenure was indeed short, his influence over the rapidly developing Hetfield limited and his presence appeared to be little more than a rather nasty personnel problem in the fledgling days of Metallica Inc. You don't hear Metallica's first bass player crying do you?

In all this the saddest part for Mustaine is not the level of his delusion, it is the fact that here is a man who is an outstanding musician, riff-writer, guitarist and even leader, at the helm of one of the biggest metal bands of all time, with a fistful of killer albums to his credit but yet he doesn't care about that. All he cares about is getting you to admit that he was important in the history of Metallica. I think that ultimately, his achievements will simply be a background noise to his legacy as `that dude who kept trying to claim he invented Metallica'.

Now, I know I'm coming off as a Dave-Hater here. Well, I really am not. The guy has some big balls and it is nice to read him lambast the corruption and corporate controlled nature of the modern music biz. At one point he is honest enough to say the industry doesn't simply dissuade new acts from trying to break in; it physically tried to keep them out.

But ultimately, for all the good stuff in here, 80% of the entertainment value is reading about a guy with a massive chip on his shoulder embarrass himself. Lets face it, that's what got the book on the New York Times bestseller list.

Sorry mate, Metallica would have happened regardless. At least you did have a decent band of your own. Although, the name temporarily escapes me...
on 3 August 2012
This was a good book. The anecdotes would've fitted nicely into most other tales of rock `n' roll excess, like Slash (G n' R), The Dirt (Motley Crue) and Walk This Way (Aerosmith). This, however, is a drawback. You get the feeling you've read it all before. That's no fault of Dave's - he's just recounting his days of sex, drugs and rock `n' roll with Megadeth and they happen to be very similar tales to those already told by the aforementioned bands.

I'm no Megadeth fan; I could've counted the number of songs I knew of theirs on one hand before reading this book. I just knew of Dave's reputation as a bit of a nutcase and thought it'd make for an entertaining read, and that's exactly what it was. Mustaine comes across as a decent enough guy but with all the characteristics of most other heavy metal front men - arrogant, opinionated, aggressive, rude, reckless, immature.

I assume he's reasonably talented too...in his field of music. But, my God, having since ploughed through bits of Megadeth's output over the years I am of the realisation that the music's bad. Really bad. Megadeth? Megacrap more like. I generally think metal's pretty awful anyway. I just find the scene pretty fascinating, especially the boom back in the 80's.

On the whole though, it was a good read. I imagine this is essential reading for fans of the band. For someone like me, who thinks heavy metal's a load of old sh!te, but is fascinated by music in general, it's nothing more than a good yarn about some ginger topped hell raiser.
on 19 June 2014
This was a really good book , what this guy has gone through is unreal , yet he has come out the other side .If you are into rock this is a good book to read , because not everything is how you would think , it shows how many sharks there are out there !
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2013
Just finished reading this and am slightly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm not a big Megadeth fan at all, they were always my least favourite of the big 4; but this is just a really interesting, occasionally funny, very well written book. I guess if I were a bigger fan I'd have liked more info on the background to songs and stuff, but as a casual reader it's up there with the best rock biogs I've read. A perfect holiday read.
on 12 September 2014
Interesting. Worth a read if you are a fan of the whole 80s/90s thrash metal thing.

I just wish Dave understood that by leaving Metallica he gave us the gift of Megadeth - totally worth it.
on 24 January 2011
Dave Mustaine has lived his life to the full, along the way making more than a fair share of enemies and countless amounts of band mates whether it be in Metallica or his own band Megadeth, and now approaching 50 Mustaine has put pen to paper to give us his side of events, from his sacking in metallica to disbanding Megadeth due to serious arm injury where he lost most of his feeling in his arm and had to learn to play all over again.

Rather than use this as a chance to get even with people who did him wrong Mustaine actually tries to be as fair as possible, so what could have turned out to be a get even book is actually more of getting the facts straight. The book is full of Dave's rehab stories and actually starts off with Dave in rehab and admitting he actually learned of more ways to get high in rehab rather than getting clean and includes the funny story of when he was sent to rehab after being caught by the police, he attended one meeting and ended up sending Megadeth bass player Dave Ellefson in his place, who actually ended up coming out sober!!

There is obviously one current theme running through the book and that is Metallica and how Dave always kept a close eye on his once former band mates, determined to be bigger and more successful despite the fact he already had a successful career of his own. The classic Megadeth line up of Mustaine, Dave Ellefson, Nick Menza and Marty Friedman are well discussed and gives us an insight to the most successful time of Megadeth's career, however Metallica were always in the background. He also discusses his tough upbringing and how he made money when he was a youngster, there's the many trips to rehab and of course finding God, his martial arts background is also talked about as well as how Alice cooper became his godfather!

The one thing Mustaine never mentions is that maybe if he stayed in Metallica they might not have become as big and that by having them to measure up to it made sure he was always driven to succeed after all very few bands go on to have the success of Metallica. The book finishes before Dave Ellefson returns to Megadeth and before Megadeth would tour with Metallica as part of the big four tour(anthrax and slayer being the other two bands that made up trash metals big four). As the book moves along Mustaine really wworks hard to make his life better and also to let go of grudges so maybe people who have a grudge against Mustaine should do the same and read this fascinating book.
on 4 October 2013
I required useful sources for coursework about thrash metal and this did exactly what I needed it too. Covers Dave's life as well as most of Megadeth's career. Would definitely recommend to any Megadeth/thrash metal fan.