Customer reviews

Pale Demon (Rachel Morgan 09)
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 31 July 2011
Well done Kim Harrison. I couldn't put this down, but tried to slow myself down because I wanted to make it last. If you have been enjoying the Rachel Morgan series this won't disappoint. Rachel still suffers from her slightly blinkered approach to life (she needs to think more) but is as engaging as ever and you keep on hoping she might just get the Coven of (supposed) Moral and Ethical Standards to rescind her shunning. Getting to the witches conference to do just that is the focus of the book, and naturally the Coven doesn't play fair. As ever, the politics of the situation are just as important as the magic.

What should be a simple flight cross country quickly turns into a world-shaking road trip. Of course it does, this is Rachel Morgan and pals (they keep on blaming her, but I think they should look to their own behaviour, particularly Trent!!). I can't say much more without giving away the plot, but certain questions are answered, new mysteries are hinted at, and there are plenty of surprises, even if you are fairly sure of where the plot is generally heading. I think that is one of the best things about Kim Harrison's writing. Even if she hasn't stated something might be happening, certain things (like with Trent planning certain things) don't come across as 'cheating' because you would expect someone as manipulative, successful, powerful and rich like Trent to be doing exactly that. Also, Harrison has clearly mapped out her world in decent detail, and thought about what might happen if Rachel and co are crossing the country in car. The norms of Cincinnati don't apply everywhere. And therefore the surprises that Rachel and co don't anticipate are surprises for the reader too, again, without you feeling that you've been fed a red herring.

And congratulations to the publishers for finally hitting on this sort of cover. I have never really like the US or UK covers to date. This seems to capture the essence of Rachel to me, and I'm hoping you can start adding in some of the other characters too...
on 1 July 2011
The Hollows series of books by Kim Harrison follows Rachel Morgan (a witch with little self discipline), Ivy Tamwood (a vampire with too much) and Jenks (a pixie) as they act as a sort of independent bounty hunting agency.

This is the ninth book in the series, and sees Morgan, Tamwood and Jenks travel across the US with their arch nemesis, Trent Kalamack, in an attempt to clear her name. She was shunned in a previous book for the use of black magic (shunning is the witchly equivalent of being sent to Coventry), and that's obviously having a serious impact on her business (and lifestyle).

This is the best book that Harrison has written for the series in a while. Previous books that have been written recently tend to meander, and see Morgan come across as pouty and whiney. This book, in comparison sees a simple set of linear events occur. They go on a road trip, battle hit men who are trying to kill Kalamack and a demon who's trying to kill them, present their case to the witches council, battle the demon again (he just won't take no for an answer), and generally save the day. The book is so much better because of that simple linearity of the narrative.
on 3 September 2011
Not only is Pale Demon my favourite of the nine books in The Hallows series so far, but I would go as far as to say its one of my favourite books ever. I have loved each of The Hallows series but this book has surpassed them all. It grips the reader from start to finish, with a thrilling storyline filled with twists and turns and also fantastic characterisation, all tied together neatly and at the same time moving the series forward as a whole.

The basic premise is that Rachel has three days to get to the annual witches conference to appeal to the Coven of moral and ethical standards to revoke her status of "Black Witch" and remove her shunning.

As well as a gripping plot Harrison uses Pale Demon to show the reader sides of each of the characters that we won't have seen before, revealing motives and reasoning behind why some of them behave the way they do. I personally found myself seeing certain characters in a whole new light, warming to them in a way I didn't think I would.

Her writing style is as quick witted and humerous as always with snappy dialogue and excellent descriptive narrative. A definite must for all fans of the Hallows and would highly recommend that people new to the Hallows pick up Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan 1) (Book one of the hallows) as the entire series is fantastic.

I can't emphasise enough how much I enjoyed this book! You won't be disappointed!
on 14 August 2011
This is THE book of this series. Ive read all of the Rachel Morgan books and whilst I wont add to the comments above, I was 100% totally gripped from the beginning. So much that I found myself actually missing the characters after I'd turned the last page!

So much happens....... Jenks, Trent, Al, (LOVE Al!), the Coven, Bis, Ku'Sox, Pierce, even Newt and the end is left so open. So many potential storylines to come.

Amazing.

If you havent read the other books, it may be an idea to do so because I think you'll get even more from this novel however, this is a wonderful book on its own. I cant wait for the next one.
on 25 September 2011
I have read all of Kim Harrison's books, and this is probably the first one that I didn't enjoy. Normally I want to read them over and over again, this one didn't do that. I just found the development of Rachel in this book pretty awful and out of character. Some of the feelings she entertained were ridiculously wrong and go all against her heavily stated moral code. It made absolutely no sense why she was willing to skim over what were the horrifying consequences of a plan, just so she could focus on her crush. If you are a kim harrison fan, then I would advise you read it. Hopefully the next book is better.
on 27 March 2016
Love these books. Read them first years ago, and decided recently to re-read them again from the beginning. Haven't been able to put them down! Would definitely recommend.
Pale demon is a great chapter in Rachel Morgan's chaotic life. The road trip is a great background to show off each character's loves, fears and flaws. A definite must read......
on 19 March 2015
Hooked straight away.... love the thrills, the secrets, the twists and turns. The tension, love and anguish that builds from the characters you learn to love and sometimes hate, is fantastic.
on 17 July 2014
If you thought that Rachel couldn't possibly get into any more trouble, or upset any more powerful entities, you would be wrong - as this installment proves in great and enthralling detail.
on 22 March 2014
It's always nice to have a strong series to follow and enjoy. Normally I try not to read them back to back to give me something for the future. But with the imp series, I couldn't resist. Very good, fast story and strong characters. As others have said its nice to have a lead character with a darker side. I hope there's more to come
on 13 July 2011
this is one of those few and far between books that you slow down your reading for as you get ever closer towards the end. Seriously addictive as i found myself snatched and dragged through one of my top ten books of the past year. Painfully I now have a long wait for (hopefully) the next instalment in a great series. As previous reviewers have said, you do need to read the books in sequence however they are all worth reading. I would agree though tha is one of the best.