Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2017
When I reviewed the first part of this trilogy I was rather critical of the lack of originality. Nevertheless, I have now read the second book and I regret doing so. Not only is the style still a straight copy of S J Sansom, the entire plot is virtually identical to the first volume, though set in a slightly different location - the court of Quenn Elisabeth1 instead of the Oxford cloisters. Otherwise, the components are the same. Unexpected murders, a strained relationship with an unattainable woman, the hero living under constant suspicion and the continued search for a lost book on philosophy. I regret that I found the book tedious rather than exciting. It may be that the author will completely change tack in the third book, but I will not know since I do not intend to read it.
on 8 September 2016
Having previously read very good similar books I did not have very high expectations of this,but I was pleasantly surprised. This book has enough convincing detail, believable plot, and good quality narrative to make it a very entertaining read. I enjoyed reading it and am already looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
on 19 April 2017
Really enjoyed this. loved the historical context. Bruno is a good anti hero, of sorts. A bit too neatly finished and Bruno`s 9 lives, slightly unbelievable
on 24 August 2015
Really excellent story in a great series. Even the slightly gruesome bits (as Tudor times were gruesome) were not too graphic. Very well picthed balance of historical detail, good character studies and an engrossing plot and pace.
on 27 March 2017
Gripping and historically convincing. A great read. I must read the next one now!
on 26 June 2017
another great read by a brilliant author we need more
on 8 April 2017
Great series, great service
on 11 May 2017
Read it as part of the series - nothing special
on 5 April 2017