• Wings

Format: Paperback|Change

What happens when you find out that you are different. Not just a little different but really DIFFERENT?!

Laurel finds herself in public school for the first time when she is a sophomore. She has been homeschooled in a small cabin in the forest. Her parents moved to Crescent City, in Northern California, about an hour away from her cabin to open a bookstore.

At her high school Laurel meets David, and he invites her to join his group of friends. He also becomes her best friend.

As she is getting settled into her new life, she gets a bump on her back - which grows bigger and bigger until she sprouts a pretty blue blossom. This blossom makes her look like she has wings.

She manages to hide it from her family and the people at school, but she and David begin to investigate. He looks at cells of her blossom and her cheeks and comes to the conclusion that she is made of plant cells.

Laurel goes back to her cabin home in search of answers. There she meets Tamani, a gorgeous young man who tells her that she is a fairy. She has been helping the fairies guard a secret that is by her cabin home.

Later, her dad takes ill and Laurel and David risk their lives fighting trolls, who are trying to acquire Laurel's forest home. These trolls are scary! They are big, strong, and the main one is smart.

WINGS is the first of four books, and it leaves us with Laurel living two different lives. Should she go back to her fairy life with Tamani, or stay and guard her adoptive parents and be with David, who Laurel also has feelings for?

I really loved this book. It had everything: love, chases, close escapes, dramatic choices, and lots of magic. The writing was very good, and at some points I had to put down the book just because I was so nervous for the characters, which for me means that I was totally involved in the story.

Laurel is someone who I would want to be my best friend. David is also fantastic. He is what I would love to meet and have in my life. He is accepting, brave, and extremely helpful. Tamani is strong, intense, and sexy! What a choice!

I highly recommend this series. It is fun and very believable. Go now and buy your copy of WINGS!

Reviewed by: Marta Morrison
Laurel has been home schooled for most of her life until her parents decide to move from their log cabin to a small city to open a book shop. She has to attend proper school for the first time ever and is initially at a loss how to fit in properly.

A boy called David befriends her and this is just as well because Laurel is changing and changing into something very different indeed. One morning she wakes up and finds a small bump on her back and thinking it is nothing more than a spot, ignores it.......however, this spot grows and grows until it suddenly blooms into a flower. Terrified she eventually confides in David and they set out to find out what the blossom is and what indeed she is...........

It is not until Laurel makes a trip back to her old home near the woods that things become clear to her. She meets a young man called Tamani who tells her she is a Faerie and was placed on her parents doorstep at three years old so the Fae could see how their kind could interact with humans. Also, he has an urgent message for her.........she must stop her Mother selling the cabin and land at all costs. Why? Well, you'll have to read this excellent book to find out but I promise, you'll like it.

Very different from the Melissa Marr series of books but different in a good way. They are both excellent writers.
on 15 June 2012
I was initially attracted to this book by the gorgeous cover and once I had read what it was about I was completely intrigued and had to buy it.

I was hooked as soon as I started reading and I knew that this would end up as another one day read because I just couldn't put it down! The clear way this book has been written meant that it was easy and comfortable to read, and the storyline was just fantastic - it was so imaginative and different and that is what kept me turning the pages until the end.

I liked the friendship between Laurel and David, it was always just on the edge of something more and even by the end you don't fully know where things will go with them. They worked well as a team trying to figure out what Laurel was and what it all meant, this was fun to read especially as everything began to unfold and more details were revealed.

Laurel's first meeting with Tamani was great, it was exciting and dangerous and signalled the moment that I had been anticipating most - Laurel discovering what she is. Tamani was very intriguing and Laurel was definitely attracted to him but wouldn't admit it to anyone else. I think this will be the beginning of a fantastic love triangle, at the moment nothing is very clear-cut, she has feelings for them both but hasn't really committed herself to anything so I believe she could still go either way. I look forward to seeing how this evolves in the next book.

As I was reading this book I could picture everything so vividly and I think it would make a great movie. The ending was beautiful, it was emotional and left me wanting so much more. Actually that would be the only negative thing I have to say about this book - it went too quickly and I just didn't want it to end. I have already ordered the next book in the series Spells and I can't wait for it to arrive so I can find out what's next for Laurel.

This is a magical, different story - a real page turner.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 April 2011
This is the first book in a new young adult series by Aprilynne Pike.

Fifteen year old Laurel moves with her unconventional parents, from her secluded home in the forest to a new town and to a new school. Just like most teenagers, Laurel tries to understand her uniqueness and at the same time wants to blend in with everyone else. However, Laurel unlike most teenagers has a very strong relationship with nature, longs for the outdoors and eats only fruits and vegetables. Things become even more complicated, when a beautiful flower blooms from her back, and she discovers that she is a fairy. Luckily, she can rely on her friend David to help her accept her nature and learn more about her inheritance. The more she learns the more confused she becomes, as she gets torn between her human and supernatural life and between her feelings for the attractive, intelligent and dependable human David and the sexy and mysterious fairy Tamani. As if her life is not complicated enough, she discovers that her parents are in danger and that she has to defend the entire fairy realm from dangerous enemies.

The book is very well written, the characters well developed and likable, and the story is captivating, filled with magic, adventure and romance. What I loved most about it, is the way the author weaves into the story scientific explanations and literature in order to make her magical plot believable. Although the book is aimed to teenagers it can easily be enjoyed by older readers.
on 2 October 2009
Perhaps I'm too old to read this particular genre but I truely love all thats magic. I'm a twenty-six year old escapist that has loved this particular genre all my life and its hard to get a book that isn't teen based. Sometimes I'm lucky and find a book who's authors apprieciate that a more mature reader enjoys such stories but some forget totally and unfortunately as sweet as Wings was it was too immature for my particular taste. It reminds me of the point horror/romance of my youth and after finding the occasion 'faery gem' that appeals to a more adult audience I couldn't help but be dissapointed with 'Wings'. Not to say its a bad book it cute but is definately set out to appeal just to teens.
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2011
Many of my reviews are of young adult books, although I myself am the author of a psychological thriller. This is because a lot of young adult books have been falling into my hands via my teenage children! And I must say I have learnt a lot about what is being written for children, teenagers and young adults, and am enjoying reading these books. "Wings" first attracted me because of its gorgeous cover. Clearly targeted at young girls, it is an intriguing teen romance / fantasy. I admired the way the author handled the idea that its heroine had lived apparently as a normal girl for 15 years and came to discover that she was a faerie. The romance element was handled well too -a mortal versus faerie world love triangle. I found the book very readable, and the relationship with the "human" boy very touching. This book should be a big success with its target audience - girls of 11+ - and adult readers like me who enjoy this kind of thing as a bit of light relief!
on 14 October 2014
This book was recommended to me by my sister. The concept sounded fascinating, but as I was reading it I rather wished that I didn't know some of the detail already! It would have been nice to have been surprised. If this book were a film I would rate it as PG or 12, which is what this OAP generally prefers to watch.
on 15 April 2012
This is the first story that has ever explained and made a believable world regarding faeries. The concepts for a plant/human hybrid are amazing! Not only that the story plot gets you to empathise with the main female character. Her circumstances put you under stress as you wonder if she'll ever be ok. The male character known as Tamani at first seems crazy but boy does he grow on you after book one. I had to buy the rest of this series to find out what happens next. The Romance between him and her is scorching!But I won't tell all- thats for you to find out.
Overall, if you love magic and science read this!
on 22 January 2013
I bought this book on an offer price and wow what a great buy. It is a book that drags you in straight away and you can't help but love the main characther Laurel. It's a very innocent book and aimed at teenages & young adults, well I'm none of these and still loved it.

Great storyline and great start to the series
on 23 September 2013
I have never read anything by this Author before but this book is a lovely and easy holiday read and infact, I managed to read this book within a day as I could not put it down. A simple but lovely story.