The Bricklayer
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 April 2015
I've read one other book by this author and enjoyed it no end. The Bricklayer is one of those rare novels that I found hard to put down and with twists and turns in the storyline kept me thoroughly engrossed from start to finish. I don't like to compare one author against another and certainly not one main character against another. Sometimes I read reviews and contributors seem to be overly quick to do so and don't review on the merits of the work being reviewed.

But enough of that and back to The Bricklayer by Noah Bond. I really enjoyed dropping into Vails' world and riding along through the twists and turns. I certainly didn't expect the outcome of the end of investigation Chapter ! Absolutely superb story telling !!!!

Value for money read? Certainly you will get plenty of bangs for your bucks and I would certainly endorse this book as a 'Must Read' ! Very much looking forward to the next outing with Vail or any other book penned by this Author !
on 26 January 2016
Plot was pretty clever, with some good twists, and enough action to keep you interested. The main character, ex-FBI agent Steve Vail, is interesting, compassionate, intelligent, but also a sexist, a pain in the arse, a loner. Some good, some bad, but it means I couldn't get to a point where I could work out if I liked him or not. But then again, he's not the type of person to care whether he's liked or not...

I'm not sure there's anything new here, but as a few hours of reading goes, it's worth your time if you like these kind of books.
on 2 April 2015
A good read which will be popular with most fans of comparable books - including the heavily referenced Jack Reacher. It's abundantly clear that the author knows what he's writing about.

The Bricklayer provides a complex and fast-moving case, with excellent descriptive passages, and a likeable hero. He's basically just better than everyone else and therefore wins. There were moments (like in a Bond movie) when I couldn't fathom the extraordinarily complicated attempts made to kill him off (just shoot him?), but they made for fantastically dramatic scenes.

The only annoyance is the dialogue. Why can't Vail have a normal conversation? When he talks with the other characters it's almost entirely point-scoring wisecracks or one upmanship. But this is a small blip in an otherwise enjoyable story.
on 17 April 2015
I initially found the writing style a little stilted, but persevered. I have struggled to find alternative authors I tend to read books of similar genres authors such as Karen Rose, Slaughter, Messrs Connelly, Corbin etc. I bought this book on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it and I would recommend it. The late Mr. Boyd certainly kept me second guessing who the ultimate protagonist was throughout. I am looking forward to reading his other books.
on 26 April 2014
Ex excellent read with a creative well structured plot and well drawn characters. The Bricklayer in particular is good part anti-hero part egotist and wholly anti-authoritarian.

My only criticism is that while there are many surprises and twists in the plot there is one obvious one that jumps out early on. However this does not spoil the story as it adds the anticipation of discovery.

An author to look out for
on 22 April 2015
Move over Jack Reacher, this new kid on the block has everything that you have and more. Completely self reliant, he brings another dimension to the art of the recluse wanting only a quiet life, it isn't his fault if he is the only one able to see what wants doing. He can't help but put things right, he then does this in style. Reminsicent of the Bob Mitcham type characters this is a read to recommend.
on 6 March 2015
One of my all-time favourite authors, now sadly lost to us. His FBI books, written under his name Paul Lindsay, are brilliant. ("Witness to the Truth" is, without, a doubt, the best book I've ever read in my life.)

Highly recommend all his books, and wish he had been able to stay around to write many more.
on 8 April 2017
One headline says 'move over Jack Reacher'....a joke! This is nowhere near in the same class as Lee Child. Its an okay read and thats all.
on 9 February 2017
Can't understand the negative reviews about being same old, sane old. I have read many books of this genre and never came across a plot like this before, good read and glad I ignored the chosen few who put the story down, well worth a read.
on 20 April 2015
A thriller about the hero who doesn't want to be involved - but is inolved. FBI country. And of course he does it better than all the trained agents !

The tricks his adversary puts in his way for him to overcome are well thought out and quite dark.

Enjoyable.