on 20 November 2007
Considering this is the official offering on Hamilton, I have to say I'm not very impressed. It's OK, but the laughably large amount of blank page around the text says it all. I nailed it in an evening and felt all the unwiser about our nation's newest sporting hero as a result.
A review in The Daily Telegraph last week of all the Hamilton books currently hitting the shelves pointed to 'The Full Story' by Mark Hughes being the best of the bunch. I've now read that as well and I don't know about the other books on offer, but I do know that The Telegraph was right about the official one, Mark Hughes' book is head and shoulders above that.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2008
A beautiful book. All of the photos, especially covering this year, really bring it to life. I enjoyed his autobiography when it came out last year, and this book with the additional pictures and story of the season is something that really captures his rise to champion.
on 26 November 2007
I don't understand why some are rating this book 1 star! I don't know exactly what you were expecting after all this is a 22 year old young man barely into adulthood, although understandably you would be forgiven for forgetting, his maturity belies his age. Evidently some haven't even read it at all but still feel entitled to review? Anyway I personally chose to buy the only book by the man himself (albeit ghostwritten) out of all 7 as I am thouroughly fascinated by his whole being and not just his racing. That curiosity is answered and to put it simply LEWIS IS HIS FATHER'S SON and he leaves you in no doubt at all (if ever there was any) that he is who he is in everyway because of his father, followed closely by his stepmum Linda and brother Nic. The only dissapointment I would say is the deliberate censorship of his real mum and her side of the family from the story, if you ask me that is where the juicy stuff is. So if you are looking for some warts and all story, you won't find it here but that should come as no surprise as he has shown that he is honed to perfection by the PR machine.
It is also nice to relive the joy and pain of this gone season with him so to speak, with the China nightmare poignantly standing out. That was gut wrenching for all that were rooting for him and he allows you to step on the other side, looking from the inside. A lot has been censored but as I said he's into his first year not a great stage to be spilling the beans and all and possibly not that many beans anyway. At best it is a very inspiring story of a young boy with a dream and a super solid family behind him and his dream (or their dream should I say). I shall be looking forward to the sequel, hopefully a tell-all memoir.
on 1 January 2008
I was extremely disappointed in this book. Thankfully it was bought as a gift.
There are at least 12 'I's on every full page. I'm sure he didn't write much of this himself, but I believe it shows the pointlessness of having a book written about your life when you're still in your 20s. No doubt that he's achieved a lot in his young life, but this is a typical 'celebrity book', and given the obesession with celebrities in the UK, there are those who will enjoy it, and good luck to them, but for me it was one of the worst books I have ever read.
on 7 November 2007
I've just finished reading this and as a big F1 fan found it a hugely enjoyable read.
The Lewis Hamilton story to date is genuinely inspiring and that story is well captured here.
Its not a long book but you wouldn't expect that - his story is after all just beginning.
But the F1 season this year, viewed through Lewis's eyes has a enough twists and turns to make it an excellent read for any fan.
The perfect stocking filler.
on 12 December 2007
Very poor, but admirable profiteering vis-a-vis his immense place in the media spotlight this year. Anyone writing a biography under 35 should be shot. Unless your Amy Winehouse of course!
on 21 October 2015
I'm not sure if I entitled to an opinion as I didn't even finish reading it, but it is easily the worst book I ever came across. When you think it is boring to listen to what they normally say after Gran Prix, think again. Avoid at all costs.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2007
There has been so much coverage of Lewis that I didn't have great expectations for what this might add to what had already been written. But it pleasantly surprised me. Hearing his perspective on the events of the season, I thought that his voice was captured quite well. We all know that these sportsmen don't sit down and type these things out themselves, but whoever was working with him did a good job in getting the essence of Lewis across. Hard to believe that he's 22 sometimes, but at the heart of the book you hear a real eagerness to just get out there and race. The lack of the stink of F1 politics was refreshing. I really enjoyed it and I know a few other people who will too.
on 23 March 2010
There were a litany of books released after Lewis Hamilton's championship win on 2008.

As his officially endorsed book, you would expect this to be the best, but it isn't.

It is poor, littered with mistakes, indicative of the way it was rushed out.

Give it a miss - it's not even worth a pound in the cheap book shops....
on 16 December 2007
An interesting book about a phenomenal driver. Obviously there's only so much you can say about someone so young, but I enjoyed reading about his life so far and it is a genuinely inspirational story.

I do agree with other reviewers though that at times things are dealt with in somewhat superficial detail and you do get the feeling that the book was rushed out to capitalise on this season's success when there was the potential to go into things a bit more fully.