Customer reviews

Cake: 200 fabulous foolproof baking recipes
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 March 2016
I have several books by Rachel Allen which I use over and over, and I can see that I'll be returning to this book too. I have tried several recipes with great results - all winners with friends and family. In this particular edition, there is an error with the Coconut and Lime cake as it doesn't specify when to add the cooled coconut milk mix; it's added after the flour's been folded in.
on 22 May 2017
Definitely foolproof ....
on 21 September 2017
amazing cakes, and so easy too!
on 5 October 2013
I bought this for my niece who has just started to bake because it has a lot of recipes and it covers most cakes that you would want to make. Some nice ideas for celebration cakes too.
on 20 November 2013
Love Rachels cooking/baking and her books, another great baking addition to my huge cookbook collection I have already made several bakes from the book, highly recommended.
on 24 February 2015
Smashing
on 30 January 2014
Lovely book and recipes
on 23 September 2012
What a lovely book, though i love lots of pictures to my cook books so that I can compaire my efforts, the book could do with more pictures but the cakes sound so wonderfull i think imagination is what the creatore had in mind. I have made the carrot cake 3 times and this is by far the best carrot cake i have ever made and my family have devoured them, my friend made the chocolate cup cakes they were fantastic. this will be a very abused book. I want to do the lime and coconut next. So many recipes so little time.
on 6 December 2012
Got this for a friends birthday and she is a keen cook. She reports that she loves it and I have tasted the spoils.... Delicious.
VINE VOICEon 3 November 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The cover says every cake recipe you'll ever need and whilst that's not quite true this book certainly comes close.My wife trained as a baker many years ago and so she makes excellent cakes and she has looked through this and pronounced the selection as very good and the majority of recipes easy enough to make.So far,to my dismay,she has only had time to make the Dairy Free Blueberry Crumble Cake,which she adapated to use eggs and butter rather than soya,but it was very easy to make and very nice,especially with a cup of coffee.Thankfully,she has also got the ingredients to make the Date and Almond Honey Cake,which I am very much looking forward to trying next weekend.In the meantime,I can say that most of the cakes here really do look delicious and I have already picked out a dozen or so that I hope she will make over the coming weeks.

The recipes themselves are all well laid out and easy to follow and although some of them do use very rich ingredients (a pound of butter and a pound of sugar for one)there are plenty of healthier options,along with cakes for kids,special occasions,and some interesting choices like Tahini Honey Cake.The photos are very good too and they definitely do the cakes justice,but that does lead me to my only complaint;several recipes don't have pictures but instead have a photo of Rachel Allen looking rather pleased with herself.However,that's my only complaint and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in cake baking.

UPDATE.
We have now tried the date and almond honey cake and it was absolutely delicious,one of the nicest cakes I've ever eaten (and I've eaten more than my fair share).Don't be put off by the honey,which I often find can be too sweet and overpowering,because in this recipe it's perfect.It's so moist that the cake can also be warmed in the microwave for a few seconds ans served as a pudding with custard or a sauce.Fantastic and not at all difficult to make.We've also tried the Wholemeal Chocolate cake,which was very nice and a good one if you don't want anything too rich or heavy,however preperation time for this was a good deal longer than the 15 minutes claimed.Worth it though.