on 5 September 2015
Excellently written. Informative without being boring.
on 2 July 2011
I have read a few books on various English kings. This book does a great role of piecing them all together without getting boggled down on a certain reign or time period.

It gives a high level overview of a monarch's reign and their high-lights and it achieves this in equilibrium across each reign. That includes no additional coverage for Agincourt or Crecy for example and i couldn't detect any favouritism.

The book read's easy and flows very well, this would appeal to the causal reader like myself, but maybe not the more learned historian who probably knows all the coverage already or the pedantic historian, who may pick up on a date or a individuals name spelt incorrectly.

Highly recommended, informative read.
I have to confess to being a little bit disappointed with this, although I suspect that probably comes from having more than the usual familiarity with the history of the British monarchy. As a primer or an introduction to the subject, I have no doubt it would be very good. But I found it a little too lacking in depth. Its scope is admirable, and I was pleased for once to find a book that traces the history of the monarchy beyond 1066 and William the Conqueror. But the flipside of tracing such a lengthy period of history is that it only really scratches the surface.

Added to that is the fact that it is essentially serving a dual purpose - a history of the monarchy as an institution and a history of the monarchs themselves. Being very familiar with the history of Britain's monarchs, I was hoping for more of an analysis of what makes Britain's monarchy unique, how it survived and evolved, where it is heading. I found this book didn't focus enough on that aspect for me. Perhaps it could almost have been separated in two volumes?
on 12 April 2013
I bought this item to gain more of an understanding about the progression of the British monarchy throughout the ages. It does a very good job of filling in the blanks about some of the periods in our history with which I was less familiar and provides interesting anecdotes about the more famous monarchs along the way. The style in which the author narrates the book is actually very engaging and was the right way to go about it in my opinion. Some readers may expect a different narrative style if they are used to reading other books in this genre.
on 21 January 2015
The item was as very informative, I have no problem buying from this supplier again
on 24 August 2015
The stars say it all but Amazon want a few words so here a are a few.
on 8 January 2016
Very pleased with this book.
on 21 June 2013
Very cross - the diagrams do not diplay on the Kindle or on my Knidle for PC. something I have noticed with great annoyance lately in other purchases- If you are going to sell books in this format it really isn't good enough if they don't work correctly and as of now each time this happens I will take the time to point it out- if I bought a new book from a shop and the opening pages were torn out I would take it back...
on 1 March 2016