Customer reviews

Fix-It Duck (Duck in the Truck)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 January 2002
I used to weep with boredom when reading bedtime stories about little red hens and Old Farmers, this is different. Its funny, genuinely funny. I am not a man easily moved to laughter, (since I have a two year old who is an insomniac,who together with his 4 year old brother who are about as easy to please as a taliban warrior with piles.
Fix it Duck does the trick. It is beyond doubt the finest childrens book that adults can also enjoy I have yet encountered, funny, brilliantly illustrated...
22 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2008
OK - Fix It Duck is absolutely brilliant, I love it and force my 19-month old son to listen to it again and again and again (luckily, he quite likes it too).

BUT one of the versions on amazon is the American version - the differences are small but I found them very annoying ("'A flat,' says Duck"/ "he forgot to turn his faucet off!"). I think it's the version published by Kane/Miller that's American.
on 12 October 2017
Excellent condition
on 21 January 2013
My son borrowed this book from his nursery and absolutely loved it, so I decided to buy it for him for Christmas. It is a great story which I very much enjoy reading, as much as he enjoys hearing it! I can't imagine any child not loving this book, it really is superb!
on 5 December 2002
This is one of those books that I knew by heart within a week of owning it. My son (2.5 years when we first found the book) would have no other bedtime book for a long time. And he would shout out "Fix-it Duck" at the appropiate moments in the story.
Duck is one of those over-enthusiastic fellows who sweeps up his friends (Sheep, Goat and Frog) in a whirl of energy and good intentions, but with a never-ending trail of destruction behind him.
The story is told in easy-reading rhyme and the pictures are delightful, with plenty of little details to spot (handy for parents on endless repeat readings). Even the illustrations inside the front and back covers add to the story. Pay attention to what's happening!
My son (and I) have loved this story from the first day we opened it, when he was barely two, till now, six months on. It is a book that warrants reading and re-reading, with wonderful details on each page. Of course, the book cost us additional money, because then our son needed a tool box "like fix-it duck's" - I merely hope he will prove to be more competent when he uses them than that poor bird!
The rhymes encourage him to learn and repeat the story, and it is a book we keep coming back to. One of the few young children's books it is a joy to re-read.
on 28 February 2014
I still have NOT been able to download it, so have little idea! Have the hardback version, which is great.....
on 19 March 2002
If you liked Duck in a Truck, you'll love this book as well. Disaster prone Duck causes problems for sheep, frog and goat in this tale which keeps kids and parents entertained. Loads of detail in the pictures means you keep noticing more of the action, and there are lots of opportunities for children to join in with the story. A favourite anytime book in our house!
This wonderful sequel to the fabulous Duck in the Truck is a must have for any parent or primary teacher. Duck is back and this time there is a hole in his roof and water is dripping through...it's time for him to become fix-it-duck. For those who are friends of duck, you know that this is not something he is likely to be good at, and so the fun begins. This book features the regular cast of Duck, Sheep and Goat, and it's worth keeping your eye out for Frog. A great combination of rhyming vocabulary and enticing illustrations that combine to tell the story...fantastic!
on 7 August 2002
This book has a good plot, is visually exciting for both child and parent, has a story within a story...where is Frog??
A good book to use in the development of stories and imaginative play.
My son knows it off by heart and tells the story to anyone who will sit down long enough to listen.
Thanks Jez Alborough...