Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 May 2017
Worked amazing helping our daughter pick up the book
In this condensed version of John Grogan's best-selling MARLEY & ME, the author has written an adapted version of his life and times with his Labrador Retriever, Marley, that's perfect for younger readers.

Having read and fully enjoyed MARLEY & ME when it was first released, I was a little anxious to see how Mr. Grogan would handle a shorter, easier-to-read version for the middle-grade set. Fortunately, MARLEY: A DOG LIKE NO OTHER is a fun, vibrant, and compelling read that even older elementary school students will enjoy.

When John and his wife, Jenny, first pick Marley out from a litter of pure-blood Labradors, they have no idea that their small bundle of fur with the big paws and blocky head will eventually turn into a 97-pound drool-machine full of nerves, excitement, and limitless energy. This short story (196 pages) is a testament to the trials, tribulations, and ultimate loyalty of a dog who ended up starring in a feature film.

Marley is the type of dog that you love, despite his flaws (and there are many!), and even the youngest of readers will be overjoyed to read about the trouble that he finds himself in on a daily basis. And, I admit, I shed a few tears towards the end of this book, but they were well worth it, because Marley was worth it.

One great benefit of this version of Marley's story are the numerous full-color photographs that the author has included. This addition alone makes MARLEY: A DOG LIKE NO OTHER an asset to your home library.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"
on 9 April 2009
I bought this book for my 9y daughter. It is beautifully written and was easy enough for her to read and understand it by herself. The photographs of Marley are a added bonus, it makes you fall in love with him even more!! This book is very funny and most people will relate to having a loveable rougue. Be prepared to have a box of tissues though.
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2007
If you loved the original book then you will love this one. It is an ideal story for children with photographs of Marley himself which is nice to see. The cover is nicely decorated and I think it is a good gift for any dog loving child.
on 31 July 2010
Marley and me made me cry with laughter and sadness but had parts that I thought unsuitable for my two kids who dearly wanted to read it so this edited version was ideal as it had the unsuitable parts removed.
Its a great story (far better than the film) about the misadventures of a dog and its owners and is supposedly based on fact. A heartwarming story about life in general and a must for anyone who has ever had a dog. Take note, the end, without giving anything away will have you in tears, no matter how tough you think you are.
on 27 December 2008
This book is totally wonderful! It describes Marley in the cutest (but nautghtiest) way possible and makes you feel how Marley felt in a most amazing way. It's just the best book ever! And the good thing is that you don't have to be 9-12 years old to read it, it's suitable for anyone who likes to read about a wacky dog life book that's touching at the same time.
on 13 January 2010
My 12 year old daughter has just finished reading this book and absolutely loved it from cover to cover! We recently got our own puppy and as a result it made the book so much more enjoyable. It is true that every dog has its own character and unique personality. This book will make you laugh and cry. Very well written. Recommended!
on 15 May 2011
I brought this book for my Kindle as I had really enjoyed reading the book and wanted to read it again. I should have read the reviews before I hit the buy button.
It was only when I started reading that I realised that this is an edited version and far shorter than the original book. It's great if you want to read the story quickly and ideal for children, however if like me you want to read the full version you will be disappointed. No where in the product description does it say it's an edited down version. So the moral of my story is that product reviews are key... had I looked at the reviews I would not have brought this for my Kindle and would of just read my book again, the old fashioned way!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2012
This is a very good read for children who are fairly advanced in their reading. The age range who will most appreciate this book are from about 8 to early teens.
on 5 February 2012
Marley and Me is a fantastic book and I think that anyone could read this heart warming story. I enjoyed reading this book so much that I have read through it several times.
The thing I liked about it the most is that you really connect with the characters, and you feel the emotion that the characters feel. The pictures inside made me laugh and some make me sad.
The overall emotion of this book is mixed because as Marley is growing up, he made me chuckle, but near the end, it made my eyes fill up with little tears.