Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2013
I've had this book for several years and I have lost count of the number of times I have re-read it. I gave it to my younger sister to read and she liked it so much we had to get her a copy of her own. The story is very funny, highly imaginative and well worth reading with amusingly flawed characters, a touch of romance and lots of cleaning....and a little magic.
on 13 May 2013
Diana Jones is a wonderful writer; she has a good style,a brilliant plot and characters that simply leap off the page.I could almost think the characters were real, I wish they were.Also if you liked this book I definitely recommend Castle in the Air and Housd of Many Ways.They are incorporated into the story very well as they bring in stories and characters but still involve Sophie and Howl;I LOVED them.I sometimes wish I lived in Ingary 😃
on 16 May 2013
I loved the movie - but I loved the book even more. The extra details that you can only get from a book are all there and the magic is intensified. I loved Sophie's character even more and Howl seemed a bit more real and down to earth. The style of writing is simple, yet effective - of course because this book is for kids - but can also be enjoyed by adults with some of its hidden themes.

A GREAT book!!!
on 23 November 2014
Couldn't get into this at all, despite the fact that I really like fantasy novels. I may go back to it in a few months and give it another try.....
on 7 May 2012
This is, without a shadow of a doubt, my all-time favourite book. I just love everything about it. The characters, the setting, the storyline, the style. This is more than a book, this is a work of art. Whenever I am looking for a book to read on a journey or before bed, I always choose this one. I must have read it a hundred times by now! Whether you're a fantasy fan or not, this book is well-written and fun, and definitely something to put at the top of your reading list.
on 17 August 2014
It was so great, cant wait to read the next one! Different from the anime but in a good way.
on 29 June 2011
If you're thinking about buying this book, I recommend that you buy the paperback. I thought it was well written with great characters and as always when I finish a good book I felt like crying. :'( . I am going to get the sequel ` Castle in the Air` and also recommend seeing the Studio Ghibli version (a great film.)
on 28 December 2001
This is an abriged version of on of my favourite books, but it was approved by DWJ and it has been edited very well. There are cuts, but nothing that detracts from the story, and i certainly didn't listen to it thinking "oh this is missing".
The only things that stop me from giving it 5 stars are to do with John Sessions characteristation. His Welsh accent for Howl sounds slightly odd, and Calcifer sounds like Zippy from Rainbow (which is found very disconcerting!).
The music which introduces each section doesn't seem to fit with the overall tone, but this is a minor quibble.
I think it might have been better with different voices for each character. I don't think he quite got Fanny quite right (in this tape she seems to not care at all for the girls, but you find out at the end that this isn't true, John Sessions makes her sound a little sarcastic).
However, hearing it aloud really made me understand some things about this story better.(And the bit where Howl has a cold and insists that he is dying had my chuckling)
On the whole i enjoyed this tape, despite what seems to be a lot of critisism! When you like a book this much, you get harder to please!
on 18 May 2008
One of the most heart warming and endearing stories. Dont be put off if you see this book labeled 'young adult' or 'children's' fiction. The concept, the depth at the heart of the story, puts it beyond being just children's or young adults literature as its throughly enjoyable at any age. It should have an impact on young people as the story is about a girl who pretty much wills herself into an unsatisfactory life, without even realizing she's done it. However, is anyone ever at a point where they couldnt use a reminder that we are what we make of ourselves? It's got all the great elements of a fairy tale, a handsome rugby loving heart eating wizard, a girl with a disfiguring curse, wicked witches, lovable demons,freaky looking talking dogs and of course dont forget the magical hats. It's a lovely story about making yourself the person you want you to be, but it's subtle enough to be a terribly sweet love story as well. Comical, romantic and thoughtful, this is a fantastic book, I hope it turns into a classic.
on 30 September 2009
This is one of my all time favourite book. When I look around for a book to read at home I can't help it but smile when my eyes find this book. I enjoy it every time I read it. One of my favourite part of the book (and also the film by Miyazaki) is when Howl has a tantrum about his hair. Funnily enough I found it funnier when reading this bit from the book. A good book does not have to be thick with hundreds and hundreds of pages that goes on and on and on .... (i.e. Harry Potter). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Harry Potter books but when it is pure quality, it has to be Diana Wynne Jones' books!