on 30 June 2011
Why did I title this "Bit of a rip off"? - I'll explain - I bought this book for my wife as a small present, however, on starting to read it she proclaimed - "I'm sure I've read this before...", on further investigation we found that yes - she HAD read it before, but in expanded form under the title "The Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World". No where did it say in the listing that this was an edited version of ...The Psychic World - if they had I would not have got it as she already owns the full version. Not Impressed.
on 27 April 2012
When this book arrived, I thought it looked familiar. It didn't take me long to realise that it contains exactly the same material as the chapters on hauntings published in 'The Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World'. It would've been very helpful if the product description had mentioned this, because then I wouldn't have wasted the money.
on 3 April 2010
The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Hauntings offes the reader a wide ranging selection of details covering the major paranormal events of the last 200 years. It also includes a helpful selection of biographies of notable mystics and historical figures who have contributed to the understanding of the world of the paranornal.
While it seems clear (to me at least) that the author is sympatetic to the subject matter she retains a healthy scepticism that can be seen in the occassional wry comment. What is refreshig about that is that one seldom sees such an useful book containing a sense of humor - this makes it an enjoyable read and oddly adds to the overall feel of reliability in the text.
The format is as you would expect, a simple alphabetical listing, but the inclusion of events and personages as well as the purely 'spiritual' helps keep the text from being a 'dull' read.
The small page format is a little disapointing as is the lack of illustration, however the crisp style compensates for this to a degree.
I would recommend this as a helpful first text which would provide the courious reader with a platform for further study.
on 1 June 2009
I have a large collection of paranormal books and this book helps fill in some gaps for a reference purpose use.
Its in paperback and would have liked hard back, still a very good addition to my book shelf.
on 3 June 2013
Oh dear.......I was expecting something FRESH & NEW but reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Waste of money.
Nothing new, boring, and mainly info i've read before in numerous books.
When will someone produce a ghost book with NEW and unheard of stories, plenty out there........
on 15 October 2009
I have all the Element books in hard back. It was a shame this is only is paperback. Still a very good read - just make sure it's not too late at night and you're not alone!
on 18 July 2013
Well worth puchasing. An excellent read. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. Very good quality. Very very interesting. Amazing book. :)
on 19 December 2014
lots of information. very interesting
on 13 December 2014