Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 October 2007
I borrowed this book from the library, and now want to own a copy. Some books are deeply informative. This is more of a starting off point, but written wih great references (URLs, names, products, books - all sorts) to allow you to follow up. The style is enthusiastic and easy to read with a good selection of pictures.

For me this is the kind of book that lifts me and gives me ideas when my enthusiasm is a little low. Well recommended.
on 17 March 2013
I have read this book from beginning to end and I love love love it. You can certainly hop around and read chapters that you want but the book is inner woven so that every chapter compliments the next. The resources and helpful info throughout the book are aimed towards people in Britain. As I am a US resident this helps me to a point. I will certainly use some websites the book refers (there are many) but it did give me ideas as to where I can begin looking in my area. One of the things I appreciate about the book is that the author, Allan, helps refresh your mind to things you were taught as a child but then teaches you how everything is connected and then tells you some deeper facts you never knew. I truly feel this book has given me a deeper love for my world (I'm not being a hippie) that has been lost in urban culture. I think EVERY gardener should read this book. Allan touched on points giving the reader a solid starting point. I am looking forward to expanding my learning thorough experience, reading and even volunteer work.
on 7 September 2007
I have been an organic gardener for some time and felt most books on the subject had nothing new to offer, but Mr Shepherd's volume managed it. A lot of persuasive stuff about why we should garden organically, together with lots of practical advice and web sites to follow up. Excellent!
on 18 February 2014
many gardeners books are one-dimension: they focus on vegetables or flowers, and the go from seed to harvest but in a very narrow scenario.

Mr Allan here has such a rich multidimensional aproach, so full of ideas and examples that every time I pull the book out of the shelf for a new random read I discover new ideas to relate to my recent gardening experiences. this isnt a narrow book to dictate how cucumbers must be grown but an inspiring book of how to feel the garden and view all its ramifications and posibilities. Every subject has an ethical and thoughtfull insight that reflects the authors aproach. You can feel his enthusiam and comittement in every page

The hundreds of links to further read are a bonus, as it encompases so many subjects it could never fully develop all. But nevertheless it has something clever, wise and documented about a full range of garden needs. The photography is excellent, much better than averadge, and the book layout cared and well edited.

This is a truly inspiring book. Maybe one to combine with some more day-to-day manuals for some practical details, but then those lack the huge soul and insight of this book to give them global and new perspective. A perfect present for a gardener, a must have on the shelf, and a great winter read ( and re-read) to plant new ideas in our garden dreams.
on 6 October 2008
I borrowed this from the library and what a wonderful read! informative, inspirational and entertaining. this is like no other gardening book i've read, you can feel the authors passion and enthusiasm for the subject on every page. it goes beyond just gardening and includes information and advice on green living and is packed full of resources you can check out elsewhere.
on 17 May 2007
Another inspiring book from Mr Shepherd! I have always been a would-be gardener but never seem to quite get there. Having really enjoyed 'Curious Incidents in the Garden at Night-Time' I thought I would give 'The Organic Garden' a go too - and am glad I did. Lots of green living information as well as gardening advice - I especially liked the 'Shed's Dead'! This feels like the year I will finally get my hands stuck into soil - thank you!
on 18 March 2015
I really love this book which is well written and considers all aspects of gardening with a view to being sensibly, rather than fanatically organic