Customer reviews

on 15 September 2009
Ok, when a book and a TV series happen at the same time, it really is a chicken and egg situation. Will the book be as good as the TV series and vice versa?

Well, I needn't have worried. Carwardine's style covers all the emotions through every page, making you laugh out loud to feeling guilty and somewhat helpless at what a great job, we the human race, are doing to rid our planet of some of the most wonderful wildlife we have.

You feel as if he's sitting next to you as you read his travels with fellow companion Stephen Fry who from being quite the opposite to Carwardine, slowly realises through their journeys together just how fragile and vunerable our animal kingdom has become. From China to the Dem Rep of Congo, animals are becoming extinct and this book exposes their plight and fight against all the odds.

Filled with fantastic photos as well from Carwardine, this is a must book for any wildlife enthusiast
on 10 December 2009
The TV series was brilliant and so I bought this as well as the DVD for my Dad for Christmas. I'm certain he will love it as he always enjoys these sorts of programmes and he is a huge fan of Stephen Fry. However, as my Dad lives in France he was unable to see the series whilst it was on the BBC.

I really enjoyed the series it was informative and amusing whilst also being a little sad firstly because Douglas Adams is no longer with us and secondly because it really could be the last chance to see some of these fascinating creatures! The book makes a great companion - not too much is repeated and you get a completely different viewpoint. The book is filled with fantastic photographs and is also a great read. (I've already read it before wrapping shhh...)
on 21 December 2009
I only caught the last half of the series when it was aired on TV and i will eventually buy the dvd. I know from watching previous programmes (Michael Palin, Long Way Round etc) that you usually get alot more from the books than you do from the series and it was even more so in this case. Whilst you get a feel of their journey together from the programme, i feel that Stephen Fry very much takes the main role, with Mark Carwardine playing supporting actor.

In the book, these roles are reversed with Stephen Fry taking the supporting role and the book is all the better for it! Mark Carwardine is a fantastic writer! He writes as if he is having a conversation with you and i didnt find myself skimming over a single paragraph as is often the case when you have already seen the TV series.

If you hadnt already realised from the TV series, in his book, Mark Carwardine comes accross as an enthusiastic, kind, self-effacing, funny and knowledgable gentleman and I am very glad i bought this book. I would recommend it to anyone. My only criticism is that we didnt see enough species.

Mark - would you consider me as your travel companion for the next series?!
on 13 January 2010
As a huge fan of the original Douglas Adams/Mark Carwardine collaboration of the same name (Last Chance to See), I had high expectations of the TV series and accompanying book. I was not disappointed.

I loved the original Douglas Adams/Mark Carwardine book because it was entertaining, well written, and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, but highly effective in communicating its message. Mark Carwardine has done what I didn't think possible in that he and Stephen Fry have produced a worthy successor. All my comments about the original can be equally applied to the new book, with the added benefit of some great photographs to accompany the text.

An excellent read for anyone with the slightest interest in conservation. Highly recommended.
on 22 January 2010
I was not expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. It appears on first view a nice little coffee table item BUT the written content was enthralling. Having seen the majority of the programmes I thought it would be much of the same but the lovely way that Mark writes kept me turning pages long after I should've scuttled off to bed. He [Mark] could've come over as all preachy and righteous but he didn't just as a jolly good chap genuinely excited about the environment and saddened by our [human kinds] joint lack of care about our wider world.

Dizoom
on 14 January 2010
Last Chance To See with Stephen Fry and Mark Carwardine [DVD] [2009]
Brought the book as a Christmas present. I had seen most of the series and decided to get the book as a gift for my dad. Since reading the book he has been recommending it to all his friends. Well written. He Has asked for the DVD for his birthday. If you did not see the series. Would recommend buying both book and DVD.
on 29 November 2012
I missed the television series, but a friend knowing my love for wildlife and nature lent me this book and I'm really glad she did. The book is mostly written by Mark Cawardine but has a foreword by Stephen Fry. The book is informative and well written,and highlights the plight of various endangered species, both well known and not. There are also many amazing photos both of the animals and of the locations visited.

As other reviewers have said, its written in a humourous and entertaining style, but in a way that does not detract at all from the seriousness of the subject matter, nor the importance of it's message.

All in all I would highly recommend this book to anyone intrested in wildlife/nature or/and conservation.
Now I just need to look up the DVD...and the original book as well. ;)
on 10 August 2014
This is the second book of the same name and is a 20 year follow up of the first book. Both books have the same author (Carwardine). The first book became a BBC radio series while the second became a TV series of the same name.
Basically the author traveled the world to locate animals that are near extinction (8 in the first book 6 in thec second).
Written with great feeling for animals with a desperate plea for conservation in a section titled-One more thing.
Some excellent pictures from all parts of the world.
The book would have been much better if Stephen Fry had been excluded.
on 14 November 2010
I read Mark Carwardine's monthly articles but this is the first book I have read that is written by him. The man is funny! The book is a pleasant and entertaining read. It has a lot to add as a background to the TV series and Mark writes in a style that makes you feel like he is a close friend telling you the stories. There is a laugh or at least a giggle on almost every page. Love it!
on 20 July 2011
An excellent follow-up written in the same style and with as much humour as the original Last Chance To See.

Stephen Fry's forward is moving and Mark Carwardine's sense of humour is so similar to Douglas Adams's it make you realise why he and Mark Carwardine got on so well.