on 22 January 2009
What a great book - I'm quite a serious cook and have had a slow cooker in the past but only really used it for stews... this book opened my eyes to the huge range of things I could do ... so dusted off the old slow cooker and haven't looked back - hot breakfasts ready on these freezing mornings, come home with 2 hungry children with 45 mins to get them in bed and there is a hot meal ready, can cope with my husbands erratic hours and can use cheaper meat which is handy right now... lovely easy recipes that really work - a dream ... thanks Katie!!
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2014
Using the book it also has shown me how to cook other meals
on 10 July 2017
Just what I wanted
on 30 January 2009
A practical, day-to-day book with delicious recipes. Simply described and full of brilliant ideas. The lamb and chilli are easy to prepare and are mouthwatering. This book will inspire and delight!
on 19 July 2009
this book had good reviews but like them i think its just great to pick the book up and get inspired by the titles, i've made several things from it now and the end results are bland and not very well cooked at all. the worst of all is the hot smoked salmon with potatoes - the potato is not even cooked through and all you can taste is cream, the recipe calls for far too much cream and milk. there are several unhealthy, flavourless recipes i have to tell you. if you want really good failsafe slow coooker books i'd strongly recommend judith finlayson's ones. they're american but the recipes work and are really really outstanding and will wow anyone who eats them. i'm very disappointed with this one from kate bishop though, i think the recipes should have been tried before publishing, i mean who wants raw food!? with hindsight, i should have known 2hrs on high in slow cooker wont cook raw potato slices, it'd take 2hrs in hot main oven temperature to cook them through!
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2009
Whilst this book is very good, the cleverest recipes use a loaf tin or pudding basin sat inside the slow cooker for cooking. The introduction explains that this requires a 6.5litre crock pot. My slow cooker is half this size so I cannot get the most out of these recipes. The remaining recipes, that do not use this clever technique, can be found in most slow cooker books or websites.

If you are lucky enough to have an industrial sized slow cooker, this would be a good buy.
11 Comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2009
And there was me thinking the days were numbered for my trusty old slow cooker. Slow Cooking: is a great book with really straight forward recipes and exotic things to boot and things that you never thought were possible in a slow cooker. I was never really a fan of rice pudding until my wife used this recipe, truly scrumshus!
on 21 January 2009
I bought my girlfriend this book when we were given a slow cooker for Christmas. We've cooked quite a few recipes from it now and they have all tasted great. The mini chestnut, mushroom and red wine pies were amazing. The author also includes information on how to adapt a recipe to a normal oven, if you don't want to use a slow cooker.
on 1 July 2009
This book is ok, my only criticism would be that the ingredients in some of the recipes aren't that easy to get hold of (I live in a very small town) and was looking really for some more classic, easy recipes that do not require a huge amount of ingredients, some recipes I could throw together with my basic stock pile of kitchen cupboard essentials.
on 27 January 2009
This book is a Godsend and Katie Bishop is officially an angel! I'm a new Mum and have found the recipes in this book perfect for popping something in the slow cooker before my husband goes off to work, leaving me all day to spend with my baby without having to worry about preparing dinner.
The recipes are very clear and easy to follow, perfect for busy people that don't have time to fiddle around with complex recipes.
Thanks Katie - you've made me a very happy housewife!