Customer reviews

Mary Poppins (Essential Modern Classics) (Collins Modern Classics)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 September 2017
Enjoyed reading this to my youngest grandchildren, they've never seen the Mary Poppins film. As I read, I visualised the film characters of Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke etc, parts of the book isn't in the film and vice versa. It was great to read the original to my grandchildren, who loved it. Yet I kept thinking parts were a little dark compared to the film. Maybe Walt Disney felt the same & prettied up the characters.
Without the knowledge of the film, the book is excellent.
on 17 January 2016
This is the second book in the Mary Poppins series, and is very similar to the first. Mary comes back to the Banks' household, and the children go on a series of adventures with her, which may - or may not - be real. Some of the stories are a bit predictable, but some are enchanting, and filled with magic and mystery.
on 7 June 2017
I really couldn't relate this book to the film at all and really didn't enjoy reading it at all. I only decided to read the book after seeing the film Saving Mr Banks. Thank goodness Mr Disney made such a good job of the Mary Poppins film!
on 9 August 2017
Interesting to compare it to the film. Enjoyed it but don't expect the Disney sentimentality.
on 7 August 2017
I got a bit bored of the story after the first two chapters. I much prefer the Walt Disney film version of it.
on 23 March 2017
I had this book, same cover as a young girl. Can now read it to my grandchildren. Pleased with purchase.
on 27 July 2017
the real story not the bastardized Disney movie, haven't read it myself as i bought it for my granddaughter
on 6 June 2017
I enjoy reading Mary Poppins. I had no idea there were so many books as I only ever watched the original film that misses so much.
on 19 March 2017