Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2014
I can't believe I just read a book about sport which normally holds very little interest for me . I was hooked straight away and even enjoyed the minute details of his strategy . So why this time ? I think it is the quality of the writing. If he hadn't played tennis maybe he should have been a thriller writer ? I found Agassi a very complicated character. I suppose we all are but he has the ability to analyse his thoughts in an effort to explain the psychology of winning and losing. This has always puzzled me as I have never understood sport and the male psyche and this went some way to clarifying that mystery. Plus the book has a happy ending. A bonus !
on 1 June 2017
A really insightful look into the life of one of the all time greats of tennis. From what it took to get to the top and the mental and physical battles to stay there to his relationships with friends, family, competitors and the media along the way its a really honest look at someone who, it turns out, hates tennis! I couldn't put it down and almost shed a tear at the end. Amazing book.
on 17 June 2017
A fantastic insight into, not only the life of Agassi, but also the pressures within the life of a tennis player. I have been a tennis fan, and club player, for over 50 years but this told me so much about the 'Circus' that I hadn't realised. Also it's very easy to read. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I am now even more an Agassi fan than I was in my youth.
on 27 February 2014
Unbelievably easy to read. A friend told me this book is really good, but it took me almost a year to get it. Could not put it down, he tells his story so frankly and bares all. It flows beautifully and you don't want to stop reading. Both my kids play tennis and I will make sure they read this amazing book. Well done to Agassi for facing his demons and coming out stronger and peaceful. This book is a must for any young tennis players and tennis fans.
I am a big reader of fiction but seldom read sport autobiographies/biographies. However I thought I would give this one a go based on the guy being such an icon in tennis.
This book is an enjoyable insight into Agassi's life, from his childhood hate of tennis to his off court adventures. Obviously most important of all we get a descriptive look back at a tennis career that had huge highs and many lows.
The books keeps a good pace making you want to read more, sometimes it falls into listing one tournament after another but being a tennis book, how could it not ! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone, whether you love tennis or not.
Only small criticism I had was that there were very pictures, especially of Agassi with racket in hand. For such a glittering career he should not hesitate to show everyone visually what he achieved in the book as well.
on 30 June 2017
If you like tennis it's a good read, it features HEAVILY. And I mean countless details of shots in games in sets in matches. Half the time I forgot which tournament he was supposed to have been playing in. The really interesting bits are the off Court bits. It's an interesting delve into the weird world of tennis.
on 25 May 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, it didn't leave my side for a few weeks. I closed the book feeling like he was my friend and i listened to him tell me an awesome story. It was really enjoyable read.
on 13 April 2017
Loved this book! Great insight into what a punishing regime the tennis pro's have to endure but also well written and very interesting.
on 15 June 2017
One of those rare books I couldn't put down. Such an insight into so many things in life, a forced upbringing and a career, life and love in the public eye. A real lesson into what can go on in someones mind who was so brilliant on the surface. I ended up wishing I'd followed him more during his amazing career.
on 7 August 2017
Good read if a little repetitive.