Open: An Autobiography
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 May 2016
I am not a big tennis fan. I bought this book because of the cheap price, good reviews and because Agassi was a pretty big name earlier in my name. He and Brooke Shields who I have always had a secret crush on. Who has not ? So I bought this book.

I had a vague interest in Andre Agassi. What I got was an open athlete who has told his life as it was. I found a man baring his soul and his life. I found one of the most open, honest biographies I have ever read.
What I also found is one of the best biographies I have ever read. It grabbed me and did not let me go again until the final page and then some internet researches in wikipedia. I am very happy that he is still married to Steffi Graf and seems to be a happy man while I am, unknown to him, writing these lines. I really wish him all the best. This because I really feel I know this man now although we have never met and we have never exhanged letters. And that is all the hallmarks of a brilliant biography.

This books is among the five best biographies I have ever read. And I have read a looooot of biographies. Too many.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2014
I loved Andre Agassi - his looks, his apparent shyness, his cracking tennis playing. I looked forward to seeing him and watching him. and openly admit his attraction wasn't just his tennis! Back to the present, and this book had me alternately feeling sorry for him because of his very hard childhood at the hands of his, quite frankly, bullying father, who was unable to show his youngest child any love. I could quite understand why Agassi soon learned to hate tennis, but it was all he knew. Before I'd got halfway through the book, though, I was starting to get a little irritated at the constant 'poor little me' attitude he adopted, and wondered WHY, being in the US where seeking therapy is almost a way of life, he didn't do the same. Then I got irritated with myself for not siding with him, and was relieved that he had people beside him all the way through his career, people who really cared for him. It's a sad story in many ways, that this was a very gifted man who spent so much of his young life doing something that gave him so much physical and mental pain. However, through this hard life, he was able to help many and was, in the end, able to achieve a lot in the tennis world, and was content with his lot. I really hope he still is, as he still comes over as a genuinely lovely person, someone who's not afraid to show his true feelings. The photo on the cover says it all, really.
on 16 December 2016
Agassi was my favourite player & he was always so gracious to his spectators so it was somewhat disillusioning to discover that he hated tennis - at least, that's what he says until nearly the end. It is a huge eye opener into the life of pro tennis players, how hard they have to work, the psychological as well as physical pain, & massive disappointment of losing. He gives credit where due for the love & support he gets from his team & takes the reader through nail-biting 5 set matches, describing well the ebb & flow of energy as the winning streak is first with one player, & then unexpectedly swings over to the opponent. Agassi is a softie at heart & his compassion for children shines through. He deserves the happiness he eventually finds with Stephanie Graff.
on 31 October 2017
Really interesting and very well written perspective on being a top tennis player and the damage it does to both your psyche and body. For his ghost writer, Agassi chose JPvMoehringe, who is not a sports journalist but a former Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaperman and the author of “The Tender Bar,” a memoir about growing up fatherless. I think this was an inspired choice and Moehringe's contribution helps give the book a veyr different feel to most tennis biographies, I really recommend this book.
on 27 August 2017
It wasn't the inspirational, motivating read I had been told to expect from friends but I still found it fascinating none-the-less. It's a great insight into what it takes to become the best; both mentally and physically. The rises and falls of Agassi's career are mirrored by those in his everyday life and seeing how he overcame them was compelling. Agassi disinterest and yet ignorant defiance was both bewildering and engrossing and kept the pages turning. The man has had a accomplished career, well worthy of a best selling autobiography.
on 7 July 2014
I picked up this book as something to read over Wimbledon and was utterly hooked , indeed I didn't watch much tennis on tv until I had finished this book and then I continued to bore friends and family with its bravery . I don't usual enjoy books about sports , they are flimsy , superficial fan book written by journos who cant write or ghost writers who sugar coat . This isn't . J R Moehringer manages to bring all pain , confusion and respect of Agassi life , you feel moved , hurt , root for him , even when he does the wrong thing . It had me spell bound as only novels can and it totally changed my perception of him and the game . And as for the scene in Paris restaurant when the dog peed , I was at the next table . Thank you for such an honest book , all autobiographies should be like this , even if the fans don't approve.
on 20 July 2016
Really great read an very well written. Being a tennis fan, the sport over the has a very clean image (although not so much lately) it gave quite a lot of insight into the sport, and also Agassi's behaviour during the earlier years of his career. I felt that reading his biography I actually went on a journey with him and could see him throughout his different phases of life and the person he was once he was approaching retirement.
on 1 November 2014
Growing up I was a big andre agassi fan ,a fantastic player who was so different from the rest and played tennis like an artist at times to my mind,I thoroughly enjoyed this book very candid and truthful opinions of fellow players,tournaments etc.I particularly enjoyed the first 6 or so chapters,of a difficult childhood and manic obsessive father,these chapters flow like a novel and are fascinating,agassi himself is a very contradictory character ,who comes accross as too self pitying in many parts of his life,with a prima Donna attitude although large portions if the book are of him trying to denounce these allegations,however despite these facts you still find yourself unexpectedly fond of Agassi.An autobiography worth reading tennis fan or not.
on 4 August 2015
I decided to get a copy of this book at Tim Ferriss recommended it on his podcast. Just like others have commented on here, as soon I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. It was an exceptional read from the first page until the last.

I loved the honesty that he brought to each page and for allowing us full disclosure into his life. For me, this is what I want to read when someone writes an autobiography.

When I began watching tennis in 2001, Sampras was always my favourite, but after learning about Agassi's story I have become in awe of his achievements.

This is a must read, whether you like tennis or not, and whether or not you know who Agassi is.
on 24 February 2015
I heard the book being discussed on the radio and it sounded interesting. Actually it's much more than that. As I read my respect for Andre Agassi grew. He came across as such a real, open, feeling and honest person. I felt so happy for the relationship he has with Steffi, his wife, and the fact that they are doing so much to help others. He sure did have a to overcome a lot of pain, both physical and emotional, in his life. A good role model for the young, in my opinion.
One person found this helpful