VINE VOICEon 10 February 2014
I'm a big admirer of Priaulx, both for his driving talent and his ability to get to the level he did without pots of cash, but sadly this book is a bit like wading through treacle.

I imagine Andy wrote this himself, if not, they should never employ the ghost writer ever again as it's quite repetitive and often dull.

The facts are there and are interesting to anyone wanting to know more about the under-rated 4 time saloon car champion (3 time world!), but they could have made a much more interesting and engaging book.
on 26 September 2014
Yes I loved this book I've always admired Andy and this just confirmed my thoughts about a guy who
really went for it, believed in himself, chased his dream and never gave up. A humble guy from Guernsey with talent and great
work ethic. An example of how you can make it in motor racing without huge financial support and against all the odds even with the "ballast".
I hope it inspires people as it has me to at least have a go rather than wonder what could have been. Good to see too that despite his fame and amazing career that he's stayed grounded, humble, loyal to his fans, Guernsey and those around him.
on 10 September 2014
His story was very intriguing to me and so I was itching to read his autobiography after following his racing career. I'm a touring car racer and automotive journalist and so I respect two things, driving and writing skills. I'm sure he's phenomenal behind the wheel of a racecar but he just can't write! The book is very boring, he doesn't give any insight about anything apart from his homeland. I left it after five chapters because I just couldn't bare it. As an enthusiast who loves to race and write, I was expecting to read stuff like how a WTCC car felt compared to ETCC or what was different about the two or how was the feeling of an F1 car or how did he manage the sponsors etc. But it doesn't have any of it. In fact the story goes from one place to another and is horribly writer.

Sorry Andy, you should've hired someone to do this job, just like you hired a driver coach for the Formula Renault test.

I'd recommend reading Ben Collin's book, a fantastic writer who could drive and has driven almost every car on this planet. Best autobiography out of all the racecar drivers out there.
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2010
I really wanted to like this book. I've followed Andy Priaulx's career since his hillclimb days, he's a fantastic racing driver, a great ambassador for BMW and comes across in interviews as a lovely bloke. Sadly, the book's awful. He has a great story to tell but it's badly written, very repetitive, chronologically all over the place, and worst of all, extremely arrogant. I fully appreciate that you don't reach the top of any sport (especially not one as hard as motor racing) without a huge amount of self-belief, but this book makes him sound unbelievably arrogant and unlikeable. Normally if you read an autobiography, you end up liking the person more, once you understand their motivations and mentality. Uniquely, this book has made me go right off him.
As I said, there's a great story in there somewhere, it's just a huge shame that he didn't approach a professional motorsports journalist to help him write it. Although having said that, Tim Collings (a respected journo) is thanked for his input in the acknowledgements. But all I can say is if Tim did have input into this, it's fallen well below his usual standards.
on 16 March 2011
So nearly everybody has heard of Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button but Britain has yet another racing hero.....Andy Priaulx. Andy is 3 times world touring car champion and this book is the story of his struggles, the high points and the low ones that he has had to work through to become the accomplished racer he is today. This is a must read for any racing fan or even if you just want to know more about the World Touring car championship, a racing series that doesn't get the recognition it deserves in the UK.
on 12 November 2010
I'm not a motorsport fan and bought the book for my husband (who is a petrol head and has followed Andy's career since before the spider days, which was when he "introduced" me to Andy and told me how magnificent Andy's achievement was even back then!). Andy was at the airport and I asked him if I bought the (last in the shop) book would he sign it for my husband and, of course, he did. Eventually I read it too. I thought, for a non-petrol head it was an insight to that world, perhaps not as technical as others would have hoped. However, as a Guernsey person what really enamoured me to the book was the style - it is so Guernsey, both in respect of the attitude and the use of language. The style was not what I expected because it is so genuinely expressed in the vernacular. It doesn't try to be anything other than a very interesting, and open, book about a talented but naive Guernseyman having made good in a tough world - supported by his loved and loving wife. Andy has everything to be proud of, including this book.
on 13 August 2008
As a proud 'Guern' and owner of a 3-series BMW this book was a fantastic read! I received it on July 4th and couldn't put it down! Andy paints such a vivid and realistic picture of his and his family's struggles, triumphs, laughter and tears. What comes shining through is his singlemindedness, and determination to be the best at his sport, but still find time to be a true Guernsey Donkey, proud of his roots,his family,and his supporters and friends.
on 24 October 2008
While I admire Andy Priaulx for his achievements, I don't feel that writing a book is one of his talents. At times this reads as if he's being employed by the Guernsey Tourist Information Board. I'm sure that Guernsey is a lovely place and the people are good and honest but if I buy a motorsport autobiography I want to read about motorsport.
Andy seems to skim over important events such as being invited to test for Williams-BMW. There's no mention of how different driving a Formula 1 car is from his usual WTC car. There are no real insights into a racing weekend, into the development or testing of a car or the inner thoughts about other drivers, circuits etc.
It seems that this book has been written to appeal to "everyman" and while it's quite a good read it's not the book for you if you want to gain real insight into a world champion.
on 1 September 2010
I've always been an A.Priaulx fan after watching WTCC, and i'd heard rumours of his dedication i.e. selling up his house to fund his career but this book really made me realise how determined he was to make it. He knew he had the talent to make it, and he did. A really great book for motorsport fans! Thanks Andy for the insight!
on 22 July 2008
Andy Priaulx: The Autobiography of the Three-time World Touring Car Champion

An inspitational read from what seems to be a very down earth guy. From an island that only has a speed limit of 35mph, producing a three times British World Champion - How remarkable!