on 27 October 2017
Exactly the normal literary excellence that you would expect from a Tolkien book! Wish I had picked this one up sooner. Now to re-read everything else...

As always, wonderful illustrations from Alan Lee, as per his other works for Tolkien publications.

Only reason I have dropped a star is because this was supposed to be 'new' however looked as though it had been read a couple of times and sat on sombody's bookshelf for a few years! slightly bent cover and a few dents/wear to the edges of the pages
VINE VOICEon 28 October 2009
This is a simply beautiful book, a wonderful collection of faery stories complemented by Alan Lee's sublime illustrations. In this collection of 'Tales from the Perilous Realm' you are treated to no less than five stories from the wonderful imagination of JRR Tolkien: Roverandom, Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Smith of Wootton Major. All have something to say - whether it is about life in general, human nature, society or just plain wonderment...

I can heartily recommend to fans of Tolkien, of magic and of 'faery', of Alan Lee or to those wishing to explore Tolkien but who are not yet ready to tackle the mammoth mountain of literature that is The Lord Of The Rings! This collection is fun, at times frivilous and can be read fast. Perfect for relaxation when you don't want to be too taxed!

Try it...you may find you'll fall for it!
16 people found this helpful
on 7 December 2012
I personally rate The hobbit and Tales of the Perilous Realm far higher than any of Tolkiens other work, even Lord of the rings.

-This book is Brilliant for Children and Adults akin, the first copy I had was simplistic and with no illustrations (which I would reccomend for any children as it is good for the imagination to invent your own version of tolkiens realm)

-This edition is stamped by the genius of Alan Lee (concept Artist of Lord of the Rings movies, I reccomend his artbook sketches from middle earth) and is brilliant for a collector, or as a gift for any age.
on 7 July 2012
I bought the product after I had read Lord of the Rings because I was intrigued by this Tom Bombadil fellow. I saw this book contained more stories about him so I bought it hoping to learn more about Old Man Willow and other mysteries surrounding Tom and the Withywindle.

Unfortunately, the section named 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil' is largely nothing about him! The story has 16 chapters and it is written as a poem. Two chapters are about Tom himself but the other are about random things such as a fat cat on a mat!? So on this front I am disappointed.

However, I found the other stories fantastic! That is why I gave 4 stars, the majority of the book is great. Farmer Giles is very 'unputdownable' and the action begins right from then start. So even though I did not get what I was looking for! I got something much, much more. I would still be delighted if some could tell me where I can learn more about Tom Bombadil!!!
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 September 2013
I give this product five stars because I love the stories and there's no one I'd rather listen to reading them than Sir Derek Jacobi. I've loved listening to his voice ever since I heard him read the Brother Cadfael novels and the ghost stories of M. R. James. Harper Collins recordings are first class, clear and bright. I'd recommend this edition to all Tolkien fans everywhere.
on 8 October 2017
Loved it
on 1 July 2014
So a chance to read more of his wondrous works, I have already y read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Tales of Tom Bombadil and of course TLOTR's
One person found this helpful
on 10 May 2016
Bought the book for a friend and it was received very well.
on 3 May 2016
Has lots of words on each page - which when read seem to make sense.
As a paperback book - Was exactly as expected - made of paper and book shaped.
Nice picture of a dragon on the front.
on 29 March 2018
Read this book, it’ll make you feel better about people, friendships, life and what comes after... lovely fairy tales :)