on 3 June 2009
Love this book - it's really interesting to look through and has so many ideas, plus loved the sections towards the back about making your own stock and cooking beans etc.. I didn't think I liked stews very much (having only experienced the 'traditional' brown slop with dumplings from childhood!!) but the breadth and fresh, zingy, spicy flavours and textures of the soups and stews in this book were an eye opener!

I love leafing through it for inspiration and cooking for friends and family. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves food, wants to be inspired and try some international dishes. Learning a bit about them along the way.

As it looks so great, have gifted it to a few friends too!
on 13 January 2012
Superb cookbook, just that little bit different given the author's background of combining ingredients from various countries that she has stayed or lived in and family influences. I especially love the vegetarian dishes, although I am not a vegetarian, the mix of flavours is exciting and very tasty. It is a great all round comforting food book, full of delicous and warming soups and stews and no-one should be without a copy of this cookbook.
on 10 March 2013
Don't often feel compelled to cook in my boring little galley kitchen, but this book has changed that! I love her familiar manner, little family anecdotes etc. A lot of these recipes are from my childhood, like Sophie, so a great trip down memory lane. The book is beautifully graphically designed and great photos that make your mouth water.
on 25 April 2017
this book is old and looks it very dull layout and graphics. but some great recopies for soup and casseroles
on 29 September 2009
I have found the recipes I have cooked so far very good apart from the hairy bikers lancashire hotpot.
It said cook for 20 minutes covered then 20 minutes uncovered on gas mark 4, this did not seem long enough to me so I cooked it for 40 minutes covered and another 40 uncovered but it still wasn't cooked enough. It needs 2 hours at least on gas mark 4 and it will be I'm sure very tasty.
on 28 November 2011
This recipe book is a staple in my kitchen. I love Sophie's recipes. They are easy to follow and use everyday ingredients. I have had good feedback from all the family in whatever I've made from this book.
I highly reccomend it for the winter months.
on 31 August 2017
Some lovely warming recipes.
on 6 October 2008
This is a great book full of exciting new recipes from the cooking guru, Sophie Conran. These soups and stews will keep you warm on many a cold night and are absolutely delicious! This is a must for anyone who wishes to perfect this essential aspect of the culinary universe. The recipes are terrific for dinner parties and are sure to leave your guests with a satisfied smile.
on 28 December 2008
I got this book because of all the gr8 reviews on here - HOWEVER I think it is rubbish. I found it hard to even find ONE recipe I think would be good for the family let along a dinner party! I have tried a few of them & they turned out ok-ish & although I'm not a gr8 cook - I'm not a bad one!
Sorry, but this is one that went into the bin after trying a few of them and will never buy any of the authors book again. Rubbish.
I thought out of the books I got this would be the most used. The 365 recipe one by Gary Rhodes is the surprise one I got that has been most used so far and some of the recipes in that are truly yummy.
on 9 November 2010
Having wanted a book about soups and stews for a while I happened upon Sophie's offering and have to say it's a superb tome. If you're looking for an A-Z on soups and delicious stews this is it. A happy addition to the winter table.