Customer reviews

Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 January 2016
I think this is a very useful book that looks gorgeous, but I have to agree with another reviewer who mentioned there being gaps in some places. The chili peppers exercise, for example. The only time you see the full drawing is on the Final Stage portion of the project. From step 1-3 the only thing you see is the upper portion of the peppers. I also think the instructions were a bit abbreviated. Same for the Arum Lily. However the instructions for the Iris were quite detailed.

There's a wealth of information in the book, but I don't think it's a good choice for a beginner because of the short instructions on a few exercises. Be prepared to look up various parts of flower anatomy (if you don't already know such things) because some of the directions don't have an accompanying example that shows exactly what is being referred to.
on 20 December 2015
After doing some adult colouring books, bless me I honestly thought I'd have a go at something more challenging. But buying this book is a bit like hoping to join the Kirov Ballet after a few tap-dancing lessons down the local community hall. Let's just say that there is a LOT to it and you would need an awful lot of leisure time. The skill and patience required are astonishing. The author is meticulous and generous in explaining all aspects of technique and I'd imagine that for a serious artist, this is essential reading. For me, I now appreciate more than ever the convenience of digital photography.
on 8 June 2013
This book met all my expectations...what were they? Well - I wanted to move forward to understand what I didn;t know that I didn;t know. It is full of all the info you need to use coloured pencils and even though I am not specifically seeking to do botanical drawing, the information was so specific, I gained the know-how for the meduim, which you can apply to any subject matter. If however you are interested in botanical drawing specifically - this book is very informative and will tell you what you need to know. I personally believe you would not buy this book as a beginner in illustration - it assumes you have a certain amount of background knowledge, and at least can draw somewhat as an amateur at least so you can use the book to practice..
on 25 August 2012
Three things influenced me to buy this particular book: in my youth I did a lot of artwork and in retirement I would like to return to it but feel out touch and a bit lost as to where to begin again ... Recently I found a full boxed set of 80 brand new coloured pencils that were my dads ... And lastly the book itself is beautiful, a treasure in its own right, a gorgeous thing to look at if I never pick up a coloured pencil in anger! The book details very clearly how to achieve the finished artwork and will be useful but I would still want to own it and admire its artistry ...
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2011
This book will soon have you sorting gloomily through your suddenly inadequate pencil collection. It's very reasonably priced for the great tips and techniques that you will learn. Drawings are accompanied by a list of the pencils and colours used and it has all you need (apart from talent) to start you off or improve on botanical painting. It includes flowers, vegetables, leaves and fruit and it's ideal for those wishing to improve on still life drawings. As I think others have said, Ann Swan has been extremely generous in sharing such detailed information, which is what makes this book so good.
on 29 September 2015
This an excellent book on illustrating plants using coloured pencils. The writer gives a lot of hints and tips which are extremely useful unlike some art books which are just a gallery of the artist's work. Highly recommended.
on 17 April 2017
If you're into this kind of art then this is the book for you
on 15 June 2014
Very pleased with this purchase. From what I've read so far, and exercises attempted, the book seems to be very concise and helpful. I'm used to painting animals and have not tried painting flowers to any degree before so hopefully, after the first exercise, I'll become better although animals will still be my first love!
on 7 February 2016
As a beginner in the use of coloured pencils for Botanical Illustration I found this book both clear in its explanations and full of the information I needed to give me a good start in the use of this unexpectedly versatile medium.
on 5 June 2015
This is a very good introduction to the use of coloured pencil in botanical art. It covers equipment and techniques very well and has some excellent, beautifully printed illustrations. The guidance on colour blending is very useful for beginners.