Customer reviews

on 3 March 2013
We ordered this book as part of a home education study on Humans in Space. My children are 7 and 5, but young for their years. The book itself is beautiful, the illustrations are a feast for the eyes and inspired a lot of pastel work in the children.
The story is wonderfully told of one mans' memory of the Apollo 11 mission to the moon when he was a small boy. The language is well crafted and it almost reads like a poem. The children loved Mars being described as the 'space tomato'. Overall it presents as very simple but we found layers of interest and warmth in this delightful book. My children also now have a picture of the solar system on theirs walls.
on 12 July 2010
I was recommended this book for a 5 yr old who is fascinated by space. However the book is the memories of someone who was a boy at the time of the moon landing rather than being about the landing itself. I enjoyed the book but he found it rather uninformative!
on 25 February 2013
Fabulous to share with children of any age. Used it as a base for a reflected story about dreams & ambitions. Great to introduce change of person and tense. My 11 year olds enjoyed discussing the illustrations and especially the front cover as some did not look at it carefully enough on first glance!
on 2 March 2013
A charming book which captures the inspiration of project Apollo and the sense of wonder that a child watching from Earth would have had growing up in the 1960s and 70s. A nice book to read to your children if you were born in the 1960s!
on 26 August 2012
I loved this book for the gentle story, wonderful illustrations, and shared memories of the moon landings. Like the author, I watched the moon landings as a child in 1969 and have never forgotten the awe and wonder of that moment.
on 3 August 2013
What a delight to find a book which really brings back memories for myself, and a springboard to introducing a topic about space.

Have now bought three copies and wish it had been there for my own children at that age
on 17 January 2014
This is just the sort of book you expect from mark Haddon. This is a well-written story of a boy with dreams.
The illustrations bring the story to life beautifully.
on 12 July 2009
Mark Haddon's book is an absolute treasure. I regularly read it to my Year 2 class when we are 'doing the Moon Missions' and find it difficult to finish without a tear in my eye. The illustrations are ethereal and just right, with lots of little details to encourage close inspection. The words evoke the time and event perfectly. My favourite children's picture book.
on 18 April 2009
This book has wonderful illustrations and a great storyline. My Year 1 class loved it. I would highly recommend this book to all ages, especially those adults old enough to remember the Moon landings.
on 18 September 2014
love it- beautifully illustrated.