on 15 June 2013
The third book in the Rain Wilds Chronicles and twelfth overall in Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series feels shorter and much more character focussed than most of the earlier books.

Rather than following a quest, as many of the other books in the series have, this book follows the daily lives of the characters from the previous two novels as they continue from the point these books brought them. It makes some interesting points about prejudice, society and childrearing, and the ensemble cast makes the drama feel more real and rounded than ever before.

The plot feels simple despite the array of threads that run through the book, and for the most part each is split into its own chapters, although there are some where the narratives are intertwined, which is a nice variation. I really love the asides between chapters that Hobb uses to expand the world in which her stories are set, and they provide a humorous and interesting companion to the main story.

While it felt a calmer story, I was really hooked by this book and can't believe how quickly I read it compared to some of Hobb's other books. I really enjoy spending time with these characters and hope that Hobb will find more stories to pen once this one is complete.
on 8 October 2017
Once I started reading book one of this series, Dragon Keeper, a gift from my daughter, I couldn't wait to read the full set to see what happens to them all! City of Dragons, the third book, is constantly surprising and delighting me as I'm reading through it. I don't like the dark bits, I have to say, but they always seem very brief and things soon brighten up very soon after. Robin Hobb is a brilliant story teller!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 May 2013
Latest novel from fantasy writer Robin Hobb. Also latest in her series 'The Rain Wild Chronicles.'

Normally she writes trilogies, but the final book in this one got somewhat large and ended up being split into two. Thus this is technically the first half of one book, although it isn't billed as such and does feel relaively self contained. But it's by no means the end of the story and thus there's lots unresolved come the end.

There's no exposition to bring new readers up to speed, so there's no point in reading this if you've not read the earlier books in the series. Start with Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 1).

A little knowledge of her other stories will also help as well - there is a familiar face from one of those in here - but it's not required.

This volume is divided into fifteen chapters plus a prologue and an epilogue, and runs for four hundred and twenty five pages.

It picks up from the ending of book two, with the expedition having reached it's destination.

Some early moments come from the viewpoint of Dragons, and show us the main threat to them. The Duke of Chalced. Who needs Dragons in order to prolong his life.

Whilst those on the expedition and their Dragons get ever closer, and go through great changes as a result, the mysteries of the city await to be uncovered. A trip back to the start of their journey brings fresh problems for one character. Others draw closer. And nobody will be able to keep what they've found hidden forever.

There's lots going on, and quite a few plot strands.

The lack of opening exposition does mean that if it's been a while since you read the second book this does take some time to really get into. As a result, it takes a while to get going, and only really clicks close to page eighty or so.

But once it does, it becomes as readable as what has come before.

If you read Robin Hobb's books, you will know how good her prose and characterisation can be. And this volume is no exception in delivering that.

It doesn't feel like half of a bigger book. It feels like a book in a series. Which does what those need to do. Move things along and set things up for the finale. This it does very well, and it does at just the right pace for a volume of this length, meaning it reads very nicely and the pages flow. Once you get into it.

The fact that it takes a while to get into does stop it from being five star material. But even so, it's a very good read in an entertaining series. And it made me want to know what will happen next. So it did it's job.

To find out what does, read Blood of Dragons (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 4)
on 14 December 2016
The biggest problem with an author like Robin Hobb is.....the books are just too GREAT! I cannot put them down and once you read the first one of any of the series, you have to read the others right away. Robin, I NEED SOME SLEEP! Not only are the story lines fantastic, the books are so well written that you believe you are in the world of the Rain Wilds. I feel the pain and joy of all the characters and crave more. In fact, I think I shall go and read another chapter now....
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2012
I can't put my finger on why this book didn't quite grip me as much as the others in the series or the other books by Robin Hobb that I have read. Maybe its my fault I was expecting that this would be the last of this series and it could be that I am a little disappointed that it isn't, it certainly came as a shock when I rad out of book (Kindle version). However avoiding my pre-conceptions that it was the last the book continues through the lives of our dragons and their keepers with some new and intersting plot twists and a few suprises, on the whole a very enjoyable book and I am looking forward to the next. If you have the rest of the series you'd be silly not ot buy this one, if you are a fan of well written fantasy then I recommend Robin Hobb to you as a very captivating author, as any authour who has that gift of making you want to read just one more page before you put the light out is special and this one has caused me more than a few late nights..... I'll just read to the end of the chapter :)
on 13 October 2013
I love Hobb's books and have been enthralled by her dragon world every bit as much as the Assassin and Fool series. I read this book quickly over one weekend, and enjoyed it very much. However, I think they forgot to procure a proof reader for the Kindle version, and I was a little annoyed by all the grammatical errors. I also felt unimpressed with one of the plot lines - would a loving husband really let his heavily pregnant wife walk through an unknown city at night on her own through wind and rain? I think not! That said, it was still an excellent read, and Hobb is right there in the top 3 of my favourite authors.
on 12 January 2014
It is always apparent when a successful author takes the decision to screw the fans for every cent they can. The books become shorter, there is less imagery and detail and the book prices rise. This book and series pales in comparison to earlier works. This book is the third in the series and is shorter than earlier works, it ends without any conclusion to the story lines "forcing" fans to pay for book 4 which the author has conveniently priced at double any previous book. I for one will decline purchasing further books especially overpriced ebooks. I will wait for a cheap second hand hard copy on eBay. What a sad way to treat fans and writing talent.
on 22 March 2013
Having eagerly waited for what seemed like ages for the Kindle price of this book to drop to something like reasonable I was bitterly disappointed after reading the story. It's not that its badly written, it's just that nothing really happens. I'm hoping that this book is just a necessary evil that you have to get through to set some story threads in motion for a thrilling final to the series.

It would be a shame, after the first two books, if this series turns into a bit of a damp squib of a story. Fingers crossed for the fourth book (when its price has been sensibly reduced!) although the reviews so far are not encouraging :-(.
on 25 October 2017
Another great book by RH, smaller more character based and mediocre middle the end is worth the not as strong pages and now I'm onto number 4 its a stepping stone,I enjoyed the read artwork on the book.
on 14 November 2016
Can't put these down, highly recommend this author. working my way through them all. for anyone who hasn't read her books, they're a little Tolkien-esque, can't say higher than that! Read the Fool ones, I like them better, but they're all intertwined