on 16 July 2012
What a disappointment! Did Robin Hobb have a contract with her publishers requiring her to publish a book this year, or what? Some 50 pages from the end of what for Hobb is quite a short book I was thinking "how can she possibly resolve all the plot threads by the end?" and the answer is she doesn't!

There's nothing wrong with what's there and Hobb's fans will enjoy the return to Kelsingra and the dragons, and the continued romance of the keepers of the birds, but having started slowly, the story begins to get going and then just stops! It's not a whole story. Presumably this series is not a trilogy like the others - but there's nothing to tell you so. How many parts are there? There's not even a "story concludes/continues in the next book" at the end to reassure you that the rest is coming eventually. I have to say I felt cheated. I really loved the first two books in this series and had been waiting eagerly for the concluding book, but I'm still waiting. Frankly, I would have preferred to wait longer and read it when it was finished.
on 4 March 2016
Excellent storyline for a finale, difficult to pull all the threads together but Robin Hobb manages it well. In some ways this was a little bit of an anticlimax but nevertheless a good finish to a great trilogy.
I can't put my finger on why this book didn't quite grip me as much as the others in the series or the other books by Robin Hobb that I have read. Maybe its my fault I was expecting that this would be the last of this series and it could be that I am a little disappointed that it isn't, it certainly came as a shock when I rad out of book (Kindle version). However avoiding my pre-conceptions that it was the last the book continues through the lives of our dragons and their keepers with some new and intersting plot twists and a few suprises, on the whole a very enjoyable book and I am looking forward to the next. If you have the rest of the series you'd be silly not ot buy this one, if you are a fan of well written fantasy then I recommend Robin Hobb to you as a very captivating author, as any authour who has that gift of making you want to read just one more page before you put the light out is special and this one has caused me more than a few late nights..... I'll just read to the end of the chapter :)
on 22 March 2013
Having eagerly waited for what seemed like ages for the Kindle price of this book to drop to something like reasonable I was bitterly disappointed after reading the story. It's not that its badly written, it's just that nothing really happens. I'm hoping that this book is just a necessary evil that you have to get through to set some story threads in motion for a thrilling final to the series.

It would be a shame, after the first two books, if this series turns into a bit of a damp squib of a story. Fingers crossed for the fourth book (when its price has been sensibly reduced!) although the reviews so far are not encouraging :-(.
on 5 June 2012
I have been a fan of Robin Hobb for many years, but so far have been rather underwhelmed by the Rain Wild Chronicles. I didn't approach Book Three with very high hopes, and while it was somewhat better than I expected, it does still fall short of the high standard of Hobb's previous series.

Book Two ended with the keepers and dragons finally reaching Kelsingra. City of Dragons is primarily concerned with the keepers' growing realisation that this will be where they will have to make a new life for themselves, and the dragons realising they will have to finally learn to fly if they are to take their rightful place in the world.

Nothing much really happens for the first half of this book apart from a lot of dialogue and some relationship angst from the young keepers. This is quite tedious in places, and Hobb's usual light touch and depth of character is not really in evidence. The relationships between the keepers seem rather forced - we do not really see any evidence of why Tats and Rapskal both fancy Thymara, instead we are just informed of the situation by Thymara's whining to Sintara. There seem to be a lot of plot points and backstory that are just told by characters spouting chunks of exposition at each other and this does grate somewhat - whatever happened to show and don't tell?

However things do pick up when the characters get a chance to start exploring Kelsingra more. I loved reading the description of the wonders of this city, and recognising various landmarks that Fitz had come across back in the Farseer books, as well as seeing the keepers taking their first steps to claiming their heritage as Elderlings.

There are also a couple of sub-plots which spice things up a bit. Malta and Reyn are back and have a larger role to play in this book. The scenes with these two seemed so much better than the rest of the book, whether it is because I know these characters more or because their scenes are more eventful I'm not sure. One nagging thing though is that Malta's hair is now described as 'golden', when I'm sure she had dark hair before - perhaps her change to an Elderling included hair colour as well!

Another sub-plot involves Malta's younger brother, Selden, who seems to be heading into the clutches of the Chalcedeans. Unfortunately this seems completely tacked-on, as there has been no foreshadowing of this at all in the previous two books, and the backstory of how Selden has ended up in this position is thrown away in a couple of lines of dialogue. It's almost as if Robin Hobb has realised her new characters are not particularly interesting so has brought in some old ones, but this has been done in such a desultory way with Selden that it's almost insulting - I would have loved to have heard more about his journey in the previous two books rather than have this new development sprung from the middle of nowhere.

In conclusion, this book did leave me wanting more as it really picked up towards the end, but I just feel it, and the whole series so far, could have been so much more.
on 28 October 2012
After reading the somewhat disappointing reviews for this book, including the fact that it does not conclude the Rainwilds series, I decided to wait for the price to come down to something more reasonable.

I note the price for the hardcover is now almost half the kindle version, and the paperback due to be released in a mere 2/3 months is only £4.93. Yet the kindle price is still £11.99.

I would much prefer to have this on my kindle with rest of them, but I will not buy for more than the cost of a real book. VAT does not justify the disparity between prices.

Lastly, while I hate it when people review products badly when in fact it's the seller at fault, as in the case. There isn't another option available to bring this to anyone's attention. So apologies to everyone who also hates it, when I finally do read the book, I'll give it the review it deserves
on 23 July 2014
I can't help it, I'm addicted to good fantasy and it doesn't come better than this. The layers upon layers of character, geography and plot development are hard to think of improving. I just love all of RH's books.
on 26 July 2013
This series was amazing, l could not put the books down from start to finish and l would recommend this set to anyone who enjoys Dragons, as well as human interaction with animals. the series caught my imagination from the start and when l finished the third novel l was disappointed not to find anymore, however it has made me want to read more books by Robin Hobb
on 8 July 2012
The latest book in the Rain Wild Chronicles, but dissapointingly short and not worth the £11.99 I paid for it. The story advances excitingly and is well written as Robin Hobbs books all are, but the ending of the book is unsatisfying and it took only 4 hours to read. Wait until the final installment is out and buy both at once, or at least until the price goes down.
on 11 April 2014
As with all the other Farseer's I have thoroughly enjoyed immersing myself in the Rain Wilders antics. Long may Robin continue to have such a good imagination and I hope to see more of the exanded 'what happened next'