on 13 May 2013
As always the most interesting and enjoyable that ever came from a very exciting writer. I have read the whole collection of the Rain Wilds and Assassin books and the lady cannot fail to keep me interested. PURE BRILLIANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 29 May 2013
I like novels. I like to get into a story and ride with it. I am not a fan of short stories normally because they are usually just not meaty enough. These will satisfy all but the most inveterate carnivore.
on 1 July 2013
Didn't know what to expect. Short stories at different constructs to a novel. Got quite a treat.

The real world stories were satisfying, but those set in the world of Buck and Bingtown were amazing.
on 20 March 2013
I enjoyed every one of these stories, but I must admit to enjoying the Robin Hobb ones just that bit more, probably because I'm a big fan of the Hobb books and was delighted to revisit the Rainwilds and Bingtown! Every single Lindholm story is quirky and original and I especially liked 'Strays' - moving and memorable, one of those that keeps coming back at you. One of the best short story collections I've come across.
on 27 July 2012
I have a fair collection of Robin Hobb publications and find that The Inheritance is nowhere near the quality of the Fool's,Assassins, Mad Ship and Dragon series of books. Some of the stories are interesting.
on 12 August 2014
Like with the books I prefer Hobb to Lindholm. Even though one and the same person, the way of writing differs.
In Hobb's writing I love the way she sets human problems or living situations into fantasy surrounding and atmosphere. Sometimes so subtle that it feels like a description of our every day life. That as well as her insight in the depth of people's ways as well as in the shadows of personalities makes her short stories as much a treat as her books.
on 10 June 2011
This book was recommended to me by Amazon ahead of time as a Robin Hobb book and had the tag line - "a collection of short stories from the Rain Wilds and beyond." I imagined that 'and beyond' meant Bingtown or perhaps some Farseer aspects and eagerly pre-ordered it. A second author wasn't mentioned. In fact even now, the hardback author is still shown only as RH - and it is only in the paperback version that it identifies that some of the stories were written as Megan Lindholm. It wasn't until I actually received the book that I realised that. I feel that this was very misleading on Amazon's part.

Perhaps it's because of this that I was so disappointed with this book, but I really didn't like the style of her Megan Lindholm writing - a very different style from her RH approach. A previous reviewer has very thoroughly outlined all of the 10 stories - so any future purchaser should be warned that you are half way through the book before any Rain Wild stories actually appear.

So - I enjoyed the second half of the RH stories, but the other half did not entice me to explore any of the Megan Lindholm books. However, all power to the author that she's able to change her style so much between genres.
on 6 May 2011
I've adored Robin Hobb since reading The Farseer trilogy in my early teens (a decade ago!), but never picked up a Megan Lindholm (Hobb's earlier pseudonym) book. Why? I'm not sure, but now I think I'm going to have to remedy this! Why? The Inheritance and Other Stories made me see that Megan is a force to be reckoned with.

Megan Lindholm's short stories are (whilst not too short) shorter than Robin Hobb's, but they have stayed in my mind since I finished this anthology a week or so ago. They're completely different in both tone and style from Robin Hobb's, but are thought provoking and gripping.

I'll admit now that I read the book backwards (Hobb's stories are the second half, Lindholm's the first) because I was longing for some Elderling universe goodness - and I was only disappointed that there weren't more stories! Three just wasn't enough for me. I can't fault them for content or length, though.

Flipping back to the front of the book gave me more stories to enjoy, seven more in fact. These were incredibly diverse tales, impeccably crafted.

All in all, this book was a joy that I'm sure I'll turn back to again and again.
on 19 November 2015
Good way to get to know both Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm. A collection of short stories most of which were very enjoyable particularly 'The Fifth Squashed Cat'. All a little off the wall but right up my street.
on 7 September 2013
If you don't know who Robin Hobb or Megan Lindholm is, then this is a great way to find out. Short stories from both writers (the first in fantasy and the second is sci-fi, but they're the same lady). I love Robin Hobb (along with George RR Martin, Stephen Donaldson, Raymond E Feist, Tolkien, etc), but not a massive sci-fi fan - this book veers more towards fantasy sci-fi than star trek.

If you do know who they are, I personally loved the one about Lavender the alien, but I'll let you all find that out for yourselves.

Lovely collection.