Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(5 star). See all 47 reviews
on 18 July 2017
Very useful book
on 12 July 2006
I've had an allotment for years and got this book as a present but I've never put it on the shelf since. Andi Clevely is a great read and the book is laid out so well I can dip into it so easily to find the right information. It has definitely inspired me to try some crops which I haven't grown before, like aubergine and chillies. The calendar section is partciularly useful for its 'last chance to sow' and 'planning ahead' features, and has some useful recipes. I would recommend this book for allotmenters new and old, as well as kitchen gardeners.
11 Comment| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2006
I have always wanted to have a go at growing my own veg but quite frankly did not know where to start. I needed a book that would spell out the basics, give me pictures and provide a detailed calendar showing when I should be doing what.

This book is perfect. It is well written, the directions are clear and the pictures informative. It is already well thumbed and next year I will be better! Congratulations to the author.
..I got myself a plot on an organic farm ealrier this year. Apart from growing the odd thing whilst I grew up, I was starting from scratch.

This book doesn't go into great detail about every plant, but it isn't an encyclopaedia of allotment plants so it isn't to be expected.

It does give excellent important notes for plants though and contains information about the whole allotment experience.

There are photographs galore to inpsire allotmenteers, the calendar section has been a godsend to newbies like me, and the recipes section is great too (my wife used his carrot cake recipe and it was gorgeous! Thanks Heather!).

He gives advise on companion planting, composting, storring your harvest, and many more essential matters.

I learn't a lot from reading his book, you can really feel his passion for growing fruit and veg, and this rubs off onto the reader.
on 1 September 2006
I have always wanted to grow my own, but I've never had the confidence to go for it.

This book gives you detailed tables of sowing and planting times, seasonal guides,advice on sellecting what to grow and even the odd recipe too. It is written in a clear and concise fashion, with lots of helpfull (and pretty) photographs.

I particularly like the seasonal guides as they have "Sow Now; Plant Now; In Season Now" in one quick reference column at the start of the "chapter".

It answers every question that a virgin allotment holder could ask. I would highly recommend it.
on 3 September 2009
This book is invaluable for those with an allotment or vegetable garden.

I especially like the 'sowing and planting' table which I am using to prepare for the coming new year to coordinate planting times. There is also guidance on crop rotation, ground preparation, and details on a great variety of vegetables and fruits.

All in all, a well written book, which is easy to read, crammed with information for those starting out in allotment gardening, like myself.
on 6 June 2009
This is the book for all allotmenteers. It should be called the allotment "bible" so useful so informative a simply must have publication. Not a book to sit on the shelf a book to refer to.
on 13 April 2009
This book is brilliant for those of us that are starting out in growing veg. Even if you don't have an allotment, like myself, this book will help you throughout the year and it makes you look impressive in front of others. This is worth buying, in fact I bought two and gave one to a mate. We found this book not only helpful to grow good veg, but helped us get through our college course.
Get this book, it is worth it.
on 5 February 2009
I purchased several books on this subject and if I had known I would only of needed to purchase this one! Its very thorough and I know I will continue to refer to it time and again. This book will help you to set up, establish and run your own allotment or veg plot.
on 15 January 2010
The Allotment Book
Just what we were looking for having had this handy book before and lost it. We find it gives simple advice on allotment use for beginners and were pleased to get a replacement. Good quick service from Amazon.