Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2016
Freedom provides a gorgeous insight into the everyday lives and difficulties of the berglund family. Its meandering, sometimes painful analysis of their personalities, strengths, weaknesses and loves is as gripping as the best mystery.
on 31 December 2015
Was told about this by a guy in a bar in Granada.
The book is well written and is a complicated story of relationships, family and love.
A good read, but I wouldn't go overboard about it.
on 28 June 2014
Yes, this is a big book, and it took a few chapters to grab me, but it turned into a great page turner, with characters that were genuine, and a history of my own generation (scary!). And as to what is freedom? Well, here's an attempt to consider the question at least.
Highly recommended.
on 5 June 2016
A very well written book as anticipated from Jonathan Franzen. Quite long, as it tells the story from different viewpoints but it kept me interested to the end.
on 27 December 2012
It would be difficult to say something new about this novel. It's great storytelling, superbly written.

Any book that leaves an impression, after it's finished makes you think about life, and makes choosing your next book difficult, is something to be treasured.

This is one of those. So read it and then worry about the next book after that.
on 15 June 2017
Sad, disturbing, joyous, informative- marriage, relationships, happiness, grief, goals, disappointments and Destiny explored in terms of what we mean by freedom and what price our freedoms costs us personally, collectively, and the planet.
on 13 July 2017
I was deeply disappointed. I found the novel's portrayal of female psychology frankly insulting. Patty is a pitiful character, a charicature, the creation of an angry white middle class man. And it goes on forever! I loved the Corrections. But this is an awful novel
on 10 July 2016
The development of the central caracters is masterful and full with surprising turns.
The novels structure is not linear but integrates the different lives of 3 generations very well and in a way that keeps the story going
With great intensity nearly like a thriller.
It is very rare to find a novel written with such mastery of language.
on 15 July 2015
Found this book full of characters I could not really understand, like or even dislike. I found the book held me outside of it's self. It was well written and I therfore finished it, to respect the writers talent but it just didn't draw me in.
on 19 August 2014
The engaging story line full of uncomfortable truths about the ways of the world and human nature at its worst and its best kept me page turning - and my hopes that its integrity would be maintained were fulfilled.