Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 December 2008
I rented this from the library and read it within a few days. I rarely read for too long in a day, but this was one of those books I literally couldn't put down.
Things such as the way in which Terri describes how she knew exactly when she was "three quarters manic" were very insightful, as was her brutual honesty, which could be compared to that of Elizabeth Wurtzel, in the way that there is no attempt made to make herself look good. It's all honest, bare and at times disturbing, which I found makes her more of an inspiration.
My only complaint is that it tends to jump around a lot, having no timeline, so it gets a bit confusing as to when these things happened in relation to eachother.
All in all, I'd certainly reccomened this to anyone who has experience of, or simply wants to know more about, bipolar, or any mental illness in general, really. Just be warned that this is no pretty account.
on 10 September 2014
Best book I ever read on Bipolar Disorder. Or, at least the one I saw myself the most in.
on 17 October 2011
This was a decent book though it was not as compelling as I had expected - perhaps due to the lack of chronology. It was quite matter-of-fact and not as emotional as I had thought it would be considering the subject matter. It did however give a good insight to living life with bipolar disorder and it was interesting to read about manic experiences alongside depressive episodes. The main reason I enjoyed this book was because it was different - facing up to mania.
on 6 February 2016
I think Terri has succeeded very well in conveying the hidden depths of manic depression, particularly those parts that still carry an amount of stigma. This book has been very informative for me personally as I have experienced varying degrees of mania through manic episodes myself and it was comforting to be able to relate to a lot of the context in the book. Terri has superbly explored the more 'grey' parts of mania and bipolar that people often don't understand - the "mixed state" on the bipolar spectrum where depression and mania meet and collide, and how easy it is to fall back into a suicidal state.
The book is formatted like patchwork rather than the events typically being in chronological order, though the author does mention this in the beginning and explains her reasons. This can sometimes be a little distracting and difficult to follow for the reader, though that's often what it's like to live with a mental health illness. Inspirational.
on 3 June 2015
Takes you a roller-coaster insight into Bi-Polar disorder. A very raw and honest account of one woman's life experience - I can't imagine what courage it took to write this book. Having mental illness in my family, I know how devastating it can be so it's always a lift to read how someone can get through the rough patches, turn things around and manage a fulfilling life.
on 1 April 2011
This was s good read. My husband has bipolar ,read this book to have a bit more knowledge on this illness.
on 19 October 2014
a good book its help me understand been manic and i am not alone
on 30 March 2015