Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 July 2016
I bought this to read to my Y4 class and they were enthralled. It is a great read with lots of interesting detail about life in South Africa and apartheid. I recommend it; it's informative, sobering but appropriate for children.
on 17 July 2016
Fabulous ! Speedy delivery .
on 25 March 2008
My Dad bought me this book, and i really enjoyed it.Finished it in an hour! I only rated it 4 stars because i thought that it just stopped.If there was a follow up, of what the girl did with her life it would be great! Still, the book had a gripping story line and gives you a taste of what it was and is like, for Coloured people in White community's,and how fortunate we are to live in a country, with all the modern appliances and running clean fresh water.
on 19 May 2017
I bought 6 of these books for a low ability Year 5 Guided Reading group. The children loved it, engaging with the characters and asking some excellent questions about the unfair treatment of black people in South Africa. The pages before and after the main story were also very useful for non-fiction reading targets. Highly recommended.
on 30 July 2001
Having read "The Other Side of Truth" and "No Turning Back" I went on to read "Journey to Jo'Burgh." Like her other novels once you start reading it you cannot put it down. This is a very moving account of life for a typical black family living in the country in South Africa during the apartheid years.The baby gets a fever and the older sister and brother, realising the baby is very ill, set off on foot to find their mother in Jo'burgh over 300km away. What happens to them on the journey and subsequently makes a very gripping story. I could not read the book quickly enough as I became so concerned for the welfare of the children. It gives an excellent insight into what an apartheid meant and I would encourage any child as they become aware of human rights to read this. Any adult who like me was too young to realise what was happening in South Africa in the apartheid times needs to read it. I would like to visit South Africa now.
on 3 April 2009
This is a really empathetic book that I have used with children aged 9 and 10. It gives them a great feel for racism and the horrific prejudice that people have faced, and in some cases, still do face. I thoroughly recommend this book...
on 11 November 2001
This book is a can't put down book .It gives the reader an insight into the lives of many black south african Familys.I Advise you to go out and buy this book before its too late .
on 4 September 2010
My son was eight when his teacher read this book to his class. He was completely captured by the book and the issues that it deals with. The whole class loved it, including the teacher...a friend of mine! Wonderful book!
on 16 July 2011
Bought the book because the class i work with work were working on part of this story and we all wanted to know the whole story. Very good. The children enjoyed it and were interested to know if the endings they had written to the story matched the book.Well worth buying.
on 30 May 2010
In common with many schools, we are teaching about South Africa, on the run up to the World Cup. I shared this book with my year 3/4 class and was amazed at how involved the children were with the story and the maturity of their comments about the apartheid system. Careful research into the "Time of Fire" led all of us into a deeper understanding of the terrible injustices suffered by black people. Can't recommend the book highly enough.