Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 January 2017
I recently read this with my 7yo son. I remember loving it when I was a kid, and he loved it as much as I did. I suspect many of the puns and references went over his head, but I also know that they went over my head when I read it the first time. Nevertheless, I'd definitely recommend reading this book with your kid. It's a great way to talk about words and how they have different meanings, about mathematics, and about the sense behind things we rarely question.

However, I can't recommend this edition. For some reason, the editors chose to "translate" the book to British English. Most of the time I didn't mind too much (e.g. replacing "apartment" with "flat"). I do feel that this underestimates kids ability to understand that different place have different ways of referring to things. (My experience has been quite the opposite: they are usually fascinated by it.) But it does become an issue when words are changed when they are a part of one of the many plays on words (e.g. replacing "cents" with "pence" when there is a play on "sense").

Full disclosure: I'm an American who have lived in Britain for much of my adult life, which undoubtedly influences how I feel about this. That said, I'd feel the same way if a publisher were to Americanise, say, Alice in Wonderland or Swallow and Amazons. I the the Americanised Harry Potter books are, frankly, ridiculous.
Norton Juster’s children’s book is always a sheer joy to read, whether young or old, and I know I get as much entertainment out of it now as when I was little. This is one of those books that is good to read to smaller ones before they are able to read it by themselves, as it appeals to children and their logic, indeed the logic does make sense for adults as well if you think about it, although perhaps that could be a bit worrying.

A fantastical adventure tale this does have a lot in common with Alice in Wonderland and other stories including Pilgrim’s Progress, and takes us into a whole new world. When Milo returns from school one day so there is a package waiting for him; as he reads the instructions and builds a tollbooth, so he then drives his little electric car past it and finds himself whisked away.

As we follow his journey he meets new people, makes friends and travels to Dictionoplis and then onto Digitoplis, and ultimately beyond, to try and rescue two princesses, Rhyme and Reason. Full of wordplay and puns this is a wonderful book that hopefully will help your child to acquire a reason for and some pleasure in learning. It does seem weird nowadays that although this was properly published and not self published it initially did very badly, although no one had any great expectations, and then gradually people caught onto it and made it such an enduring book and now considered a classic. And as Juster grew up watching the Marx Brothers you do get that sense of humour here, making this great to read to yourself or out loud to your child.

Some books are just such a pleasure to read because they are fun, and this certainly falls into that category. This does have the original illustrations as well, which is another bonus.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 December 2014
Whilst this book had been in my childhood home for years, I think it wasn't until I'd started secondary school that I actually picked it up and read it. Many years later, I've just bought it again, and it remains as charming as ever. Even to a teenager, the moral messages in the story are quite obvious, but the surreal situations and humour throughout mean that they are never too obtrusive or annoying. Any child old enough to understand the language and appreciate (or groan at) the horrible puns will surely love this!
on 4 September 2016
This may sound sad but Kat Denning (actress) tweeted about loving this book as a child & as i have a child who has no interest in books where she's not seem the movie first, I though I'd give it a go! So we're two chapters in & I love it, it's funny, charming, relatable and educational. I can't wait to keep reading! Some big words - for a 10 year old but manageable.
on 31 July 2017
I'm nine and I loved this book! I'd recommend it for all ages.its got something for everyone.Follow the adventure of a bored boy called milo,who one day finds a big package in his room.He unwraps it and finds a buildable tollbooth.So he takes his pedal car and drives through! What will he meet? Will they be friends or foes? Read this amazing book and find out...Norton Juster is a phenomenal writer and has written a truly brilliant book about the five senses.
Just as I remember it, and now my daughter (9) loves it too. Great quality product. Quick delivery and well packaged. Would buy again.
on 23 July 2014
I read this as a child and loved it so bought it for a teacher friend. Her pupils were younger than I had been (they are 6-7) but they loved it when it was read to them. I think it can be enjoyed by slightly older children especially, and adults will appreciate it too, as it is so clever in its use of words and ideas and it is great fun.
on 24 March 2017
10 yr old bot loved this adventure
on 26 April 2017
Great book read it years ago, glad to have it back
on 14 August 2013
one of the best books ever written, trying to build up a library of my favourite childhood books for Erin, this book was lovely, after i bought it i sorted out my bookshelves and found four more copies!