Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 15 November 2012
The first couple of chapters of this book totally confused me, I thought I was reading the book of The Wedding Singer, as it all seemed so familiar and it was only when the penny dropped that I had actually read this book before, many years ago, that I could relax and enjoy it properly. It is a fantastic, extremely well written read about The Wishbones, a wedding band and in particular their guitarist Dave, who is a bit of a drifter - 30, still living with parents, never had a proper job, lives for playing the guitar and has been dating Julie for 15 years, although he would stress that it is "on and off".

The real story starts when in a moment of sentimental weakness he proposes to Julie and the plans for the wedding commence. We watch him head towards his wedding day in a state of panic and worry that he is not ready for a long term commitment. Should he follow his head or his heart? Does he even know what his heart wants?

It is a wonderful story with a lot going on in it; never boring, you can just sit and lose yourself in it. It is not predictable, as you are reading it, you are never quite sure what is going to happen in the end. Dave himself is not a perfect guy, he is human and does some stupid things at times which really make you want to shout at him, but you still just can't help liking him.

It is like a grittier The Wedding Singer - sometimes funny, sometimes moving, just a damn good story with a great bunch of characters who are believable and likeable. A very visual read, as it unfolds you can see it in your minds eye, like the movie it could possibly make. Highly recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 March 2003
I was much more entertained by this story of a 30-year-old New Jersey wedding musician than I had anticipated being. It's sort of a "The Wedding Singer" meets Nick Hornby page-turner as we follow the professional and romantic progress of guitarist Dave over the course of a summer, as he attempts to resolve his love of being a musician with the reality of being an adult and living at home. The male characters are all interesting and well-drawn, and while the commitment issues are somewhat hackneyed, it's excellent in portraying the ambivalence some of us have to "settling down."
on 20 January 2016
Fairly lost on me. The blurb on the back stating "You will want to share this unforgettable book with your best friend and then stay up all night talking about it.", would have my friends looking at me with one eyebrow raised saying "Really?".
I thought I'd read this book due to the music references scattered throughout, thinking it might be an interesting read (I'm an equally avid muso :-), so a book combining the two is right up my street. Yes, there were occasional references to a lyric or song, but I didn't feel they added to the story and this was (for me) a definite way to improve on the somewhat mundane "Man reluctantly gets engaged, has Man-panic/mid-life "conundrum" (don't want to give such a stunning spoiler away!?) and mulls it all over with equally mundane fellow characters".
The story had a good flow to it - enough to make me persevere to see it through to it's "shocker" ending (:-P) and is certainly not one of the worst books I've read, but I prefer plots/characters/backgrounds with a bit more depth and a not so blatantly unoriginal storyline.
If you're looking for a quick read, without having to think too much - this fits the bill.