Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 2009
This is the book that was supposed to answer all the mysteries!! With thinking that, it would seem obvious that it would be rather difficult to understand this book!
The author Darren Shan has cleverly written this book and made it easy to understand the going's on.
The ending leaves it on a very large cliffhanger! I wont go any further has it will spoil it for everyone else!!!!
The book goes very quickly through the events of the going back in time in Demon Apacolypse!!
It also goes through the going's on at the hospital for a third time from a third person narrative!
It is very well written!
The stories and plots have been well written and the pieces fit together!
Darren Shan has shown a range of skills in writing this book!
Just thought that i'd mention that theres a mistake at the end of the book and has been resolved with an loose page added to the book!
It also say's at the end of the book that Hell's Heroes will come out in October 2010! Upon reading this i was devastated that i would have to wait for over a year for the climax of a series that i have so closely followed!!!
But on the loose page it corrects the mistake that Hells Heroes will be released in October 2009!
This i can manage with!
HAHA
on 13 August 2015
Arrived in fantastic condition the day after I ordered it. Perfect hardback book with an immaculate dust cover. Perfect read. A definite buy for any Darren Shan reader. Especially one who likes the Demonata series.
on 16 December 2014
I rated 4 out of 5 because this book has a few disappointments along the story. Otherwise this was a brilliant book that was action packed , easy(ish) to read and ends with an exciting twist at the end. I can't wait to get the last book - Hell's Heroes - Although it is a amazing book I personally think it is way too short and should have more 'punch' added
on 12 August 2013
I had a busy week so ended up having a break before reading this book, but I was eager to get back to it. So close the end I wanted to know how it would all turn out.

This book is told from Kernel's point of view again, it was quite nice to have him narrating again, I like his voice and his no-nonsense, it is how it is attitude.

It once again gives a recap of events from when the whole group was together last, from his point of view. To be honest I skim read this part. I've already seen these events happen from 2 other perspectives and it was getting a bit repetitive so I glided over it until Kernel left the scene, then I tuned in again.

This book sets out to answer a lot of questions that have arisen over the series and it does answer some of them, it also moves the story on well, setting it up for a big ending in the next and last book.

But if I'm really honest I found bits of it quite silly and a bit slow. I missed the fast paced running into fights and 'think about it later' sort of writing. There were still bits of that in the book of course and they were just as good as ever but the whole journey with the 'lights' just seemed a bit too far fetched for me, and the set up for the meaning behind the whole chess board storyline that's been running through the series was just really far-fetched and unbelievable for me. And considering I was happily going along with every other part of these stories and let it carry me away, not being able to believe something was a bit of a shock! To me it felt a bit like he'd got to the end and realised that it had never been explained so he made this up. But I didn't buy it.

That's not to say this is a bad book, it's really not. It will still sweep you up and carry you along, and the ending is a big 'Woah!' moment made to make you want the next book. Plus this one is only 215 pages so it's the shortest yet.

If you've read this much of the series, don't give up, just think of this book as a set up for the last book, maybe a bit of a filler.
on 20 June 2009
Everything I could have wanted from the next installment in this series. I live in the U.S. and ordered it from the UK because I was not going to wait the the American publishers, and I prefer it in its original form without the UK English spellings, references, and idioms cut out. I can't wait for the final book!
on 5 August 2013
This book is a great read. I bought this for my daughter and she didnt put it down until she was finished it. Darren Shan is a great author for any young teenager. Good product, great quality. I would recommend it. Shipping in the time as stated. 100% recommended.
on 10 July 2009
"Dark Calling" is the 9th book in Darren Shan's Demonata series. Once again Shan has delivered a spectacle of horror, showing off his superb writing skills and imagination.
This book delivers some much needed answers and explains some of the mysteries from the previous books.
Although maybe not his best this book is still a great one full of action and gore.
This book is told from the perspective of Kernel Fleck and introduces new and amazing aspects to the world of magic that are truly brilliant.
Re capping on the events from Demon Apocalypse, the boat and the hospital from yet another perspective but once again this is delivered faultlessly with all the parts slotting together like one of Kernels windows.
There is yet another fantastic cliff hanger at the end which I'm sure will be resolved in the penultimate book (released October 09).
This book is the well anticipated 9th book of the Demonata and I would strongly recommend it to any loyal Darren Shan fan and would recommend the first book of the series "lord loss" to any new comers to the spectacular writer that is of Darren Shan.
on 10 May 2009
I think this is a fabulous book. Darren Shan has put together a magnificent book full of twists, flashbacks and action. there are demons, werewolves, the dead coming back and souls which have been stolen. Darren Shan has left this amazing book on a cliff hanger which is dead scary and has left me shivering. There are deaths on both sides, good and evil. If you are into action and horror, I highly recommend you buy it!
on 3 May 2009
Firstly, despite criticism that I'm about to give, the book is (well, it will be) essential to the Demonata series and I'm sure you'll need to read it to understand the next and final book (Hell's Heroes) in the series. So fore that reason, buy this book and read it. It may not be the best but it should be necessary.

So, this book starts with basically a very vague summary of book six in the series, but from Kernel's view. This is an excellent part of the book. Book 8 also had this, but from Bec's voew. It's very clever how the same speech is used throughout all of the books.

Then the book starts to get even better. Although some people might complain the middle of the book as "boring" but I like the boring bits apparently. It explains a lot (and I don't mean that lightly) about the Kah-Gash and the ever-questined chess board. Plus loads of other stuff. There are a few demons battles, but his is mainly just talking and exploring about very well descripted places.

It's near the end of the book, that it get annoying. The senseless battles really bring down the tone and class of the book. It's not needed. After enjoying the rest of the book thoroughly it was brought to a rather rubbish ending. Admittedly, it does leave the space open for quesries and there's loads of scope for discussions. I'm expecting lot's of heated debates with my freinds about what's going to happen in the final book.

But that doesn't make it annby better really. It's really annoying to have such a bad ending. It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

But still, the rest of the book is very good, and that makes it worth a purchase. Plus what I said formerly.

So buy it, and pray that the final book is up to standards!
on 11 June 2009
Well the book wasn't bad, but it has quite a few bad points. -MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS-

1) The Book was too short for my liking and much shorter than previous books, but that might just be me.
2) The begining wasn't great and it didn't really improve. It starts off just like the two books before it, but from Kernels' point of view, which isn't bad, just a bit repetitive. Then it goes onto what happened on the boat which is more interesting and you think it's going to get better from then on...but nope, he meets up with old creatures and travels through the universe and meets aliens and atlantis was a different planet that was highly advanced! What!? I'm just wondering what he was smoking when he wrote this. The first half was quite philosophical in my opinion.

Good Points: It gets gradually better when he returnsto earth and it become the book we wanted to read from the start, a big battle, the shadow, some good characters die, Grubbs becomes a big of a arse seen as he's half wolf...etc It was too short for my liking as i said but i hope it's just so the last book will be epic. And i found the ending to this book great!

Overall 3 stars because there were more bad points than good ones and i never really got sucked into the book and at some moments, i didn't want to know what came next because i was scared it would be worse than the page i was on. You should buy this book because you have to know what happens! Or borrow it off a friend!