Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 24 June 2017
I really like Gordon Ramsay and enjoyed this book.
However, given it's 2017 and this book is about 10 yrs out of date, it would be nice to have a revised updated version.
That being said, if you want a bit of background to how Gordon got started this is kind of successful chef but not successful business man stage.
One thing I did notice Marco Pierre White get's just one mention in the whole book and it wasn't a nice one, which seems odd given he must have had quite an influence on the early Ramsay. Although, I understand they had fallen out at some stage.
It's great to see him giving so much kudos to his father in law, it seems they make a great team.
Anyway, Gordons the man of that there is no doubt.
on 27 April 2017
Good Condition Good Read
on 14 August 2017
Very enjoyable read
on 29 August 2017
Another fantastic read from Gordon Ramsey that shows anything is possible with the right attitude and mindset. One thing is clear though and that he surrounds himself with a great team which is the nucleus of his success.
on 5 April 2017
Not a huge fan of tv Gordon but as a business man you have to admire him. Good read recommended.
on 5 August 2015
A very good book
on 23 August 2017
The package arrived damaged. I am pretty sure a book should not be bent
review image
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2007
I like most had read the first book 'humble pie' which is the story of the man himself and was a fascinating read.
This second book 'playing with fire' is a book about his buisness ventures. ie. How he set up his restaurants, got the finance, expanded his empire and all the buisness dealings. I really enjoyed this book as the business side of things really interested me. However this second book is clearly going to appeal to a smaller market than his first. My wife who loved the first wasn't interested in reading this one for the same reasons that I liked it.
In summary a good read if you like books on successful business stories not so good if you are after another autobiography.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2009
In reading "Gordon Ramsay's Playing with Fire" I was given an interesting overview of the eponymous authors take on the business world. This is set out as a more detailed autobiography on the lessons learnt in business and is a rich canvas of detail, written with passion and adroit execution.

We learn of the incredible growth of "Brand Ramsay", or more correctly "Ramsay Holdings" from its genesis on Royal Hospital Road through to the hospitality powerhouse it has now become.

For me the most interesting aspects of the book involve Ramsay's partner and father-in-law Chris Hutcheson. Ramsay is generous in affording due credit to the business acumen of Hutcheson which, it transpires, was as pivotal in Ramsay's success as the talents of the expletive laden chef himself.

The narrative of Hutchinson's actions, diligence and drive in business adds colour and texture to story of stellar growth. This book is indeed about business, but I think the ghost-writer also deserved credit in that he makes the subject interesting to those who would normally choose not to venture into this field of reading.

I respect Ramsay for admitting his entrepreneurial mistakes and he shows more humility than some would expect. Unfortunately this refreshing honesty is seemingly always tainted by an incessant need to personally abuse some individual also associated with a failure, a person that Ramsay has no doubt broken contact with.

For example, when referring to an ex member of staff Ramsay refers to her as a "fat, self-contented moose". Now it is up to him who he insults, and even though he doesn't mention this person's name, there will be people who know who she is, but she cannot commensurately defend herself. This is isn't the only occurrence, and it leaves a rather bad taste.

However, that really is my only complaint, as on the whole this is a vibrant book full of excellent tips for those looking to run their own business, as a restaurateur or otherwise. As with "Humble Pie" it is a lesson in perseverance and hard work, again proving that much of what is seen as natural talent is pure graft. Ramsay certainly has talent, as a businessman as well as a chef, but this has been earned, and not bestowed. Earned through blood, sweat and tears.
on 5 March 2014
I must say not being a big fan of Gordon Ramsay, I picked up this book in a holiday cottage to read, and found I could not put it down. I didn't finish the book before my brief stay away, hence buying this copy.
I found it a very good read into his career highlights and failures, I like the way he acknowledges his great team of staff, his sense of humour at we see every time we dine out, the bad things he sees and comments on. All in all a good easyread