Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 2017
Results as expected
on 10 September 2007
...bringing folks back together to eat.

'Tana's trademark simple and delicious recipes make it easy to cook fabulous food every day whether you want to rustle up dinner in a flash, impress the in-laws over a big family lunch or linger over brunch in your pyjamas'.

'Real family food is not just about sharing uncomplicated, heart-warming food, it's about slowing down for a few precious minutes, cracking up over silly stories, bickering about things that don't matter and remembering why, though thick and thin, nothing beats being together....'

Opening with a charming dedication to her husband, 'For Gordon. Thank you for being you', this book carries on from her first:-

Tana Ramsay's Family Kitchen.

263 high quality matt pages, split over 10 chapters:-

Vegetable Temptations
Big Family Lunches
Baking Adventures
Devilish Desserts

sandwiched between an introduction and a full index.

'When you think about it, ultimately we only need to eat to refuel ......Even so, I believe that food can play another, almost more important, part of our lives. It can bring us together, slow us down and let us catch up with each other as we rush through the week. Some of the happiest moments of my life have been around the table sharing good food, and the times I treasure most with my family are when we are all together doing just that. This must be why I associate certain foods and dishes with different people and places...........'

Each chapter opens with applicable text from Tana, followed by a 'title page' for the dishes featured.
The majority of the recipes open with a personal note, followed by a clear list of ingredients, the numbered method, how long it takes to prepare and make and the number of servings.
Most finish with a helpful 'tip', or two.

Full colour photography throughout, although much of it is family and 'on-location', rather than of the finished dishes, so this might prove a little negative for those of us who like to see what we are aiming for on the plate!

A small taste of the recipes contained within:-

Bacon and Egg Muffins
Jam Tarts
Cheats' Summer Pudding
Children's Chocolate Mousse
Profiterole Mountain
review image review image review image review image
on 26 March 2008
I just received this book and will hold off on reviewing actual recipes until I've had time to try some. However, I really like the book thus far. I like the layout, the warm comments, and I cannot take offense at the photos throughout as I think they fit very well with the intention of the book: real family food. The graininess of the photos seemed to bring warmth to the style and I didn't mind endless shots of Tana working with food or the kids grinning devishly and seemingly enjoying themselves. I've bookmarked about a dozen recipes that I'm eager to try and, hopefully, my family will approve, too. All in all, I think it's an attractive, well thought out cookbook and a worthy addition to my 100+ volume collection.

Update 4/18/08: Love this book. Every recipe I've tried has worked succesfully and I'm looking forward to getting through more. What I like best about the book is it made me wonder hey, why didn't I think of this? Especially the Mango Chicken Salad, which was to die for. Simple ingredients but it packed a wallop of flavor. I can highly recommend this book and it presented no problem for me as an American cook.
on 19 September 2010
Love some of Tana's ideas but wish there had been more photos of the finished recipes rather than family photos. I find it useful to have the food photos for illustration alongside a recipe but there was only about 1 photo out of every 3 recipes. Perhaps OK for others, but the family photos were a little out of place in a recipe book for me.
on 21 September 2010
This is my favourite of Tana Ramsays cookery books, and I like them all. This had lots of recipes I wanted to try - particularly Russian fish pie - which is what hooked me in the first place. I find her recipes work - she simplifies without compromising flavour - and I've not had a bad result yet. They are certainly geared to family cooking - but yet they are not same old, same old. They definitely perk my interest up and taste buds too. I have a lot of cookery books - and this is working its way up to being a top option when I'm searching for just the right recipe for family cooking - and entertaining too, if you want fuss free entertaining. I recommend Family Kitchen too.Tana Ramsay's Family Kitchen: Simple and Delicious Recipes for Every Family
on 9 February 2010
I bought this book having enjoyed recipes from her other cook books but found the choice here to be rather eclectic and not ones I would utilise in everyday cooking. Some of them, such as the Blueberry muffins are fab but the apricot and walnut bread has to be a mistake as it tastes disgustng and the ingredients just don't feel right when you are making it so not sure what has gone wrong there! I would say that the sweet side of this book is ok but the savoury are a bit lacking but as with any book it is all down to personal preference.
on 17 March 2010
..I did feel slightly conned by the book. An enormous amount of space was devoted to pictures - pages of them of Tanya and Gordon and yes, of course, some of the dishes. But you can't cook pictures and given the money I spent (well, not an enormous amount I admit) I would rather have had the space devoted to more recipes - because they are good and very cookable. A bit of a misjudgement on the publisher's part I thought.

But if you can get it cheaply - do buy it for the recipes.
on 25 November 2016
An unfortinte present from my wellmeaning beloved...SO many photos of the Ramsay family. Why would anyone want them in a cook book?!? Keep them for your family album, guys. Lovely mouthwatering glossy photos of the food prepared in the recipes is what we want, not full page matt photo after photo of, e.g. Gordon kissing his child, Tana laughing, Tana chopping, Tana grating etc etc. Of the recipes I've tried out, one (the spaghetti squash lasagne thang) seemed to use every pan in my well-equipped kitchen and was nothing special at the end of it. Another highlights layout issues - the fact that the recipe e.g. requires seasoning appears before the fact that you're supposed to marinate the chicken for 24 hrs before cooking. - a bit of a no-no for all but the most organised mums. For some reason the bold type showing cooking and prep times is listed at the end of the recipe rather than the beginning, which becomes problematic when the recipe runs over two pages!
on 6 December 2011
I did not like this book- have a lot of cooking books because I really like trying out new recipes but this one didn`t do it for me! There are a few in there which I quite liked but not enough to be worth it when it comes to buying it! So will NOT be used... :-(
on 8 September 2015
I saw the 1 star reviews and thought I've got to leave a review for this book!

Tana Ramsay's Real Family Food is one of my kitchen bibles (the other is Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food). I love this book. When I first received it as a present, a few years ago now, I thought, oh great another recipe book.

However, a couple of recipes in this book I make regularly now - I don't even need get the book out to get the recipe, and my kids (especially the less fussy one) loves them.

Of all the recipe books I own, I've made the most recipes out of this book!

Yes, some of the recipes are simple, but that's the whole idea. A busy mum trying to feed a family - healthily. The recipes are with kids in mind too... because they can be your biggest critiques as a mum.