Customer reviews

on 16 June 2013
A friend of ours had this book when we were both expecting, and we had an entertaining evening reading out some of the humorous comments the editors had put alongside some of the names. We bought it for a friend who was subsequently expecting. We are now expecting number 2, and not being able to borrow a copy, we're going to buy our own!
on 7 July 2017
Excellent book, good snippets of every name including the more crazy ones..!
on 31 August 2007
On the whole this is a good baby name book, crammed full of names from varying origins, and therefore suits every naming style. I don't think any parent will struggle to find the 'perfect' name in this book as there is something for everyone.

From a personal point of view, I was looking for a rare name for my impending arrival, but I still wanted a name with a genuine origin/meaning as I'm not a fan of modern creations. I found some real gems in this book that matched my criteria perfectly.

My only gripe with the book, is that as it has been compiled by two American authors, there are many boy names which are labelled as being "unisex" which clearly are anything but. In America, it's very popular to use masculine names on girls, and that is clearly shown by the authors' suggesting that names such as Peter and Ian (!!) could be used on girls. It's a trend I think would be best avoided here in the UK and I hope very few people take notice of these laughable suggestions.

However, the "unisex" name thing aside, this is a good book full of naming ideas and inspiration.
on 10 September 2012
Bought this when pregnant with my son.
Found it witty and liked the descriptions the authors had put beside the names.
May not be to everyones taste but made choosing a baby name a lot more amusing and had a good laugh the the obscure names and the comments made beside them.
Think it silly for anyone to get offended.
on 25 February 2013
best one yet i love so many different names absolutely fantastic i would highly recommend to anyone to buy this title
on 12 March 2010
really fab well laid out baby name book, loads of old and new modern names and meanings. good vfm
on 7 October 2009
No doubt a good selection of names are in this book. Unfortunately it's padded out with complete rubbish. Unless there's a chance you want to call your child Beige or Beelzebub (both of which are listed), get yourself a book with real names for real people.
The 2 authors also see fit to add their own reviews of individual names, some of which are downright insulting and definitely upset my 8 year old daughter when she looked throught the book with me.
As mentioned by another reviewer, it is more suited to an American reading audience, not UK. Unless, of course, you want to risk your child having a seriously hard time at school.
33 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2007
This book is comprehensive and you will undoubtedly find an appropriate name in here. The main drawback is that the roll-call of famous people with each name and the reasons to avoid certain names derive from an overwhelmingly American slant. It does not read easily for the British audience.
on 3 February 2014
Love this book, it has an easy to read layout, witty comments about names, most importantly, loads of names! Great.
on 3 February 2015