Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 June 2016
This a nice read. A story of an unlikely friendship developing during the napoleanic war in an alternate history.
on 14 September 2015
Simply put: Great story, fast passing with marvelous characters giving life to this geniously build world.
on 15 February 2014
I can't say I loved this book however I did like the story, just not the language it was written in.
I found the bond with Laurence and Temeraire interesting as it developed but the story wasn't enthralling.
overall an average read
on 15 July 2016
I loved the book so much it drew me in and I have not put it down once...high recommendations from me
on 4 October 2009
What would you get if you crossed Sharpe with the Hobbit....... well pretty much this novel.

I am a pretty big fan of the genres of historical drama and fantasy,be it either in the printed from or on the big screen and I found both of these elements packaged in one great novel,Temeraire by Naomi Novik. I first heard of this book a couple of months back in a copy of Empire magazine in an article about possible forth coming movie adaptations of books,and this was one of them. Reading the article this novel I found it an interesting them but thought nothing more of it. A short time later I was going on holiday to Canada and was searching round for a book to take with me, remembering about this book I decided to give it a bash and I can truly say I was not disappointed.

To give you a brief synopsis the book follows Captain Will Laurence of his Majesty's Royal Navy during the time of the Napoleonic Wars, and how his life changes when he discovers a rare cargo on a captured French vessel. A dragon egg, the story follows Will and his new charge Temeraire as the relationship grows and the threat of war grows ever closer.

I loved every reading every page of this book, I found it quick paced with just the right mix of character development and action. But it's a bit of an odd one,what genre do you put it in? It's not quite full on fantasy and it's not whole y historical either, but both work well together. I adored the fantasy elements of the dragons and also the nods to actual events during the Napoleonic Wars.

The best praise that I could lavish on Temeraire was that I could hardly put it down and spent any time that I could with my nose buried in its pages......... so much for sightseeing Eh!I can't wait to read the next novel in the series,which is on the way.
on 9 July 2008
My title says it all! I had seen this book on bookshop shelves & in libraries, and always just thought it may not have been my cup of tea ... "Historical Fantasy" - hmmm. I finally decided to give it a go two days ago, and have only just managed, metaphorically, to prise my cramped fingers from the book now that I have finished reading it. I was blown away by Ms Novik's skill in introducing us to an era of talking dragons. The historical context provides a rich backdrop for the unfolding story of Captain Will Laurence and the dragon, Temeraire, whom fate has brought together. I don't want to give any spoilers so I won't go into detail about the characters, story, or style. As an avid reader, I enjoy reading three or four books a week (not counting the weekends); for me, Temeraire is that rare book that fuels my passion for the written word and the worlds, experiences, and excitement a good author can introduce us to. I was blown away by Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, George R R Martin, Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman, Piers Anthony, Orson Scott Card, and my taste in other genres runs to Rachel Caine, Kim Harrison, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dean Koontz, Lee Child, to name a few. I am thrilled to have stumbled upon another author to add to my list of favourites. I can't wait to embark on the rest of the series and highly recommend Temeraire.
on 14 February 2008
I am not a regular reader of fantasy, but after many, many recommendations about 'Temeraire' I finally succumbed and read the book.
I'm glad to say that I have not been disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed it - so much so I went out and bought the entire series!

This novel is set in the throes of the Napoleonic Wars, during which William Lawrence, a Captain in the Royal Navy, obtains a prize in the shape of a dragon's egg after capturing a French vessel. Some days later, the egg hatches. Inside is Temeraire, a rare breed of dragon. Thus begins the story of Lawrence and Temeraire as they battle the French, face threats from home and develop an unlikely friendship.

This book is very much setting the stage for the rest of the series, and although some readers may find it slow to begin, it is well worth the journey to the end. I was really impressed with the subtle way in which Novik blended the concept, so that it soon became very easy to accept that not only did dragons exist, but they featured as main combatants in the Napoleonic Wars.

I would strongly recommend this book to people, particularly those who are tentative about the fantasy genre. Aside from the dragon element, it's not too fantastical.

I cannot wait to read the rest of the series.
on 28 January 2015
Great concept, and nicely done. I'll be interested to see where this series goes.
on 8 January 2015
This is one of the greatist stories I have ever read and I do love fantasy .
on 23 April 2014
I liked the original idea, and some of the thought behind the dragons.
I didn't like the endless plod around with manners and etiquette
I didn't like going on how much he loves the thing and dressing it up nicely.
I didn't like the token, shallow references to history.
I didn't like the lack of action.
Good fantasy is credible, it takes stuff we don't have but the rest of it is real. This wasn't I don't think there's any feel for could you board a hostile dragon in flight for example? Or support a flying dragon without clattering the wings? Loading, aiming and firing a musket on a dragon?
It's written well enough, but a bit disney and dull for me.