on 25 June 2017
Interesting and clearly written. Consequences of the data was not, however, pursued. Fairly short- author has written several books- perhaps less of greater length would be better.
on 17 May 2015
I have not yet finished this book but love the writing style, accessibility and enthusiasm of the writer so much that I must review it. Cannot recommend it highly enough - the author takes what could have been a dull subject and injects it with humour and thoughtfulness as well as a brilliantly scholoarly approach. Cannot wait to read on.
on 31 March 2013
Providing my first real introduction to theories of behavioural economics, Ariely's take on patterns of human consumption is as accessible as it is informative. He relies on a number of practical case studies, observations and real experiments taken from academic research studies that examine the human decision-making process, with fascinating conclusions.

When it comes to creating price architecture, range planning, merchandising and retail store placement, the fundamental theories that Ariely walks you through are immensely valuable. People vary and your `target audience' will never be exactly the homogonized group you plan them to be, but he also proves that with the application of some basic, well-proven theories, you could transform the bottom line of your sales strategy.

Consumer behaviour might seem unfathomable at times, but if you discover the secrets behind how we think, you can start to plan the way we act, shop and ultimately buy. The only downside is that your colleagues may soon tire of your endless creative brainstorm contributions always starting with, 'As Dan Ariely has shown us...'.
on 23 July 2013
I would say this is very much a 'pop' book on behavioural economics, the writing style is informal, engaging and it explains the topic in a manner that I think that most people can understand. I think Dan Ariely has done a great job in making this subject accessible to the greatest number of people and it is an important subject.

Given some of the failures of classic economic theory to predict crises forecasters and policy makers are looking for alternative theories to understand the world and I suspect behavioural economics will be one of the winners. It's an approach to economics, which accepts that we're not always rational agents always maximising our economic best interests. In fact we're often quite irrational in our purchases and investment decisions -- of course this isn't news to great marketers (who understand the power of persuasion) or great investors / traders (who know that markets often go through boom & bust phases and know how to exploit them).
on 16 November 2017
Currently reading this - quite eye-opening revelations and an interesting read even for a statistical layman like me.
on 25 April 2014
This book has little substance comparing to "Thinking Fast and Slow" authored by Noble Price Laureate. As a super saver and investor, I found this book just talks common sense, not much use to me. However, "Thinking Fast and Slow" is a much harder book to read and requires a lot of thoughts but it is packed full of knowledges of how human perceive.
One person found this helpful
on 17 May 2011
Some interesting experiments and examples of how one's perception can be manipulated.

However, the book is quite wordy, the author discusses how experiments were set up and slips in unrelated anecdotes and unnecessary background for each story. I learnt a lot from this book, there are many useful insights, but much of the material sounded familiar. Maybe I had read them before in similar books, in magazine articles, or seen them in the author's TED presentation.

This is an enjoyable book if you fancy some light reading.
on 6 April 2018
Brilliant book, a must read for anyone with an interest in human behavior
on 24 September 2015
A very thought provoking book, good holiday reading ready for coming back to business.

Just make sure you are in the right frame of mind otherwise it will go straight over your head, had to read the same page a few times for it to sink in.
on 2 December 2016
Interesting topic and kept the reader engaged until the end. Picked up a lot of tips to help you think differently about why we do what we do.