The Kitchen Diaries II
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 October 2017
My favourite time in the kitchen growing up was when my mum would open a Nigel Slater cookbook (Real Cooking). As she cooked from it, I would endlessly slide it across the counter and read each page lovingly, dipping into a world of scrubbed-clean kitchens and perfect winter meals, seasonal ingredients and the joys of leftovers. My love of the book totally unmarred by how often my mum had to snatch it from me to read the next step in the recipe she was following, I have amassed quite a collection of his book.

The Kitchen Diaries is an artist at the peak of his craft. It is a book about the love of food, and the way that good food structures a life well lived. Each recipe is accompanied by a note on the time of year, or the celebration therein, or the changes in the garden or the season or the sky. Along with both volumes of Tender, it is a book I would try and save from a fire, thus indicating both my love for it and my complete lack of common sense.
17 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 January 2013
This book showcases Nigel's beautiful writing about food and would be a joy to read for that alone. There is a particularly lovely section describing his choice of wood for a new kitchen table - the food part is relegated to just a few lines at the end of the entry. But of course his musings on food are accompanied by recipes.

In anticipation of the imminent arrival of Seville oranges I have been looking today at Nigel's marmalade recipe. It is different to my usual recipe but I am going to try his method this year. Picking another page at random, he describes walking to Bermondsey market on a Saturday morning in May where he finds young carrots which he prepares in a herb sauce. Just reading the words makes me long for the days when young carrots appear. I have also just read the recipe for spiced bread & butter pudding with fried bananas which I'll be cooking this evening to use up some left over bread and bananas. Then there is blackberry ice cream cake; broad bean, feta & spinach pie; mozzarella salad with tomato crumbs (a sort of pizza without the pastry base); orange & lemon parfait; passion fruit creams. It is a bit like being a child in a sweetshop working out what to try next.

There is something very comforting about Nigel's approach to food - good ingredients, simply cooked to bring out the best in their flavour. Just wonderful.
18 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2014
A friend gave us Vol 2 of The Kitchen Diaries and it has some wonderful, relatively simple, recipes in it all based on a "what have you got in the fridge / cupboard?" theme. Saw this, Vol 1, at a reasonable price and bought it. Not disappointed; interesting to browse for ideas and written in such a way that browsing it is easy - as the title suggests, it's a diary, basically.

It'd be a great gift for a foodie who has the usual array of index-driven cookbooks. They'll love it for content, style, writing and photography. If you watch Slater's TV programmes, you'll know what to expect.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2017
Nice if you've got a supermarket over the road ! - all the extra bits you need to make the recipes, you tend to think , is it worth the extra cost? Well presented, brief and to the point , it's a handy bible for those budding chefs who have loads of time on their hands to make these delicacies. Saying that, I have found the recipe for onion soup excellent and so easy to do with fresh onions off my plot . The book is nicely set out with pictures and descriptions of each menu with a little quote at the end. I think I now have all the spices, flour, caster sugar, etc required to do these recipes - some are quite unusual and I must have a go at them.
on 9 July 2016
I bought this as a gift for my brother in law who is a huge fan of Nigel Slater and enjoys cooking, the book was extremely well received and I got to pick out which recipe my brother in law would try first!

This is a really well put together book, nice and weighty and filled with delicious looking recipes, I'm thinking of buying a copy for my husband too! Also a great price for a book filled with so many great recipes! I definitely recommend this for your kitchen shelf!
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 30 May 2013
Although it's much more than a cookbook! Virtually every time I see Nigel Slater on TV I come away with at least one new recipe that becomes a favourite. I don't usually bother with cookery books these days, as most recipes can be found on the internet but I felt that having this one to hand would be inspiring and I was right. It is a really beautiful book and as others have said is a book to be read and savoured, not just in the kitchen.I really feel that whenever I am stuck with a few odd bits in the fridge I will find something in this book that will produce a great meal. It arrived just as I was putting in an online order to Ocado and I ended up ordering lots of little store cupboard items to ensure I could make any of the recipes! However the real beauty of Nigel Slater's style is that you can just get the inspiration and then adapt to what you have to hand. I was very pleased with the price as well for such a lovely book.
One person found this helpful
on 2 January 2018
Mr. Slater is a favorite with our household head chef and I'm sure this will enhance the cooking books on our kitchen shelf, this book may not have arrived in a good state and the seller failed to help us, but this NS book certainly adds to our collection.
on 5 March 2015
I was a little disappointed by the second volume of kitchen diaries. It isn't quite such a good read as the first and I find it less inspirational. That said, if I'd not read the first I'd probably have been more impressed. It seemed to have less pictures of the finished food than the first and the index is not the most useful I've ever used.
All that said, I still think that Nigel Slater is one of the very best cookery authors and this book is still better than most authors' offerings.
on 2 May 2013
I absolutely loved this book! I downloaded it to my kindle today not knowing what to expect but having enjoyed watching Nigel on the TV.

I have read the whole thing cover to cover today. It is beautifully written by some one who clearly loves food and delights in quality ingredients. Although there are plenty of inspiring recipes this book is not a cookery book....Much more a lifestyle book. Who could fail to be inspired by the attitude to of Nigel.
So refreshing not to be the usual Cheffy type but someone who takes great pleasure in growing food and providing friends with such superb hospitality.

It has truly been a revelation and I am now going to look at what else he has written.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2014
I loved this book which is the first Nigel Slater book I have purchased.

I read it like a novel... It is beautifully written, with diary entries throughout the year, sprinkled with wonderful recipes. Yum on both accounts. Unlike my other cookery books, this one tends to sit either on the bedside table or by the side of the sofa... so inspiration is not far away!

Would recommend