on 9 September 2017
Bit slow starting -but a gentle sad story - with analysis of a character that strikes home in places - I guess we've all had unrequited love at some time in our lives... passages of humour - I guess in a way it's a black comedy story. I enjoyed it.
on 13 February 2015
What I loved about this book was the clear insight into every character's mind - not just the main character. Their perception of her was so at odds with what she felt they thought. You may hate the idea of a woman being regarded as a spinster on the shelf but that's how women were viewed then. Such a wonderful story and truly amazing writing - a real classic. I love a story that makes me think and stays with me and this did.
on 22 January 2016
The author shows a lot of insight into the dilemma of a sad, single and lonely woman in the 1950's when life was a bit different.
Well written and readable.
on 10 March 2014
This was recommended by American-UK writer Scott Bradfield. Fabulous read, and helped me with my own novel-writing too. In my copy, there are also insightful "extras" from Brian Moore. When he wrote this, he was quite lonely living in a caravan, but don't expect something miserable... there is plenty of humour.
on 20 August 2017
Quite enjoyed this book but found it very sad
on 19 November 2016
on 26 February 2015
So enjoyed this book. I just wish I could get hold of a copy of the film adaptation starring the wonderful Maggie Smith!
on 20 October 2016
A very good read.
on 25 June 2014
Thsi is a classic it speaks for itself and I enjoyed it very much ....Its as you read it very believable
on 22 September 2016
Could. Not. Put. It. Down.